New organization teaching Buddhism

A new on-campus organization is striving to educate people about the teaching of Buddhism, senior Jason Lehmann said.

“We’re not here to push Buddhism on anybody,” senior Justin Lehmann said. “We really just want to educate people about Buddhism and its purpose.”

The Buddhist organization, which meets every two weeks has only six members right now, Lehmann said. But he said he thinks their numbers will begin to grow once they get started.

“We haven’t really had much time to organize a lot of events yet,” Lehmann said.

The 2-month-old group is starting to organize some events and are hoping to begin a meditation session every day for students of all religions, Lehmann said.

The meditation groups would meet everyday from noon to 1 p.m.

A meeting place has not been set, but Lehmann said he hopes to hold meetings somewhere in the Ecumenical Religious Center because it would be quiet and solitary, or somewhere in Davies where the groups would be more accessible to students.

Lehmann stressed that the meditation sessions are not focused only toward Buddhists, but are geared toward all religions. They plan to offer meditations for different religions including Christian and Hindu faiths.

The group would also like to be available to international students who practice Buddhism.

“We want them to be comfortable practicing Buddhism, or their own religion, here,” Lehmann said. “Hopefully we can get names of students from the (Center for International Education), so we can contact them and look for interest.”

The Student Senate officially recognized the organization on Feb. 25, said freshman Sarah Bolstad, organizational director for Student Senate. “They had a lot of really interesting ideas about Buddhism and bringing it to the campus.”

The group plans to have guest speakers to educate students on what Buddhism is, she said.

The group is planning a “Change Your Mind Day,” where guests will come and speak about Buddhism. Lehmann said that a date has not been set yet, but it will be sometime in June, and is being planned in conjunction with the community’s meditation group.