Counting kegs

Ben Smidt

Everyone in Eau Claire over the age of 21 may soon be restricted to purchasing only one keg at a time if the Eau Claire City Council passes a proposed keg ordinance.

“Right now, we’re just looking at the concept alone,” said Jeff Hansen, assistant city attorney. “We’re just gathering information at this point.”

Eau Claire city officials got the idea to restrict keg sales from ordinances instituted in other college towns, such as Winona and St. Cloud, Minn.

It’s unclear how effective the keg ordinances are in these cities, Hansen said.

Neighborhood associations fed up with house parties in their neighborhood wanted the city to address the issue, Hansen said.

The discussion quickly turned from whether to restrict keg sales to how house parties could be curbed in student neighborhoods.

Associate Dean of Students Bob Shaw represented the university at the meeting. He presented a seven-page packet stating the goals, strategies and action plans of UW-Eau Claire’s alcohol task force.

According to Shaw and the report, the university’s official position is “to develop a plan for keg ordinance regulation and advocate for its approval.”

Sophomore Kara Kangas represented Student Senate, saying it has not yet taken a stance on the proposal.

Many community members present at the meeting shared concerns over the number of house parties held and the disturbance they cause.

Stan Carpenter, representing the Third Ward Neighborhood Association, brought up the point that house parties are not only a nuisance to neighbors but also a safety hazard.

“If you pack a hundred kids in a house, there’s going to be safety concerns,” Carpenter said.

Hansen agreed saying his biggest concern with house parties is the safety issue.

A spokesperson for the Eau Claire Tavern League brought up the point that even if Eau Claire did pass an ordinance, students would just go to neighboring towns, such as Altoona or Hallie, to purchase multiple kegs. She said this would take customers away from Eau Claire businesses.

“The idea is not going to prevent parties,” Hansen said. “It’s not just the students – it’s the age group.”