Seminar to focus on leadership skills

For those of you sick of being a follower instead of the leader, now is your chance to make some changes.

Thanks to a seminar sponsored by the Activities and Programs Office, students can develop their leadership skills in a 16-session seminar beginning March 6.

The Leaders Seminar, which will meet every Wednesday night for eight weeks, will be divided into two sections for different students.

“The first session will be for emerging leaders, which consists of students who are entering their first leadership role,” Student Services Coordinator Paul Butrymowicz said.

“The second section is for students who have established leadership skills,” he said.

The first session will run from 3:30 to 5 p.m., and the second session goes from 5:30 to 7 p.m. The program, which is held every semester on campus, is usually attended by about 40 students; 15-20 in each session.

“We invite facilitators from across the campus, such as academic staff and faculty.” Butrymozwicz said.

This semester’s course will cover topics such as stress management, personal mission statements, team building, interpersonal conflict management and round table discussions.

Students will also have an opportunity to tackle the ropes course on upper campus, Butrymowicz said.

“Leadership is a life skill, participants are able to use this forum to discuss their ideas on how to be a leader and how to deal with the problems and questions that leaders are faced with,” said senior Brent Hafele, senior student co-coordinator.

During the seventh session, students in the program will be able to invite a leader from the campus or community to come.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to talk with people who have experienced leadership in real life,” Hafele said.

As a freshman, Hafele participated in the seminar and was inspired by the experience so much that he wanted to be a part of it again.

He then signed on as a facilitator and is now co-coordinating the seminar.

“It’s something that will enrich your life,” he said.

To apply for the leadership seminar, applications can be picked up at the Activities and Programs Office in Davies 133.

Application deadline is March 4. There is a $10 program fee, which covers the cost of a binder and some handouts Butrymowicz said. Refreshments will also be served at each session.