Oettinger recovers from appendix leak

Student Senate President Andy Oettinger, after feeling excruciating stomach pains and then having his appendix removed Sunday night at UW Hospital in Madison, resumed his duties Wednesday in the Senate office.

On Saturday afternoon, Oettinger and Senate Vice president Kelly Witkowski traveled to UW-Whitewater to meet with UW Student Regent Tommy Lee Jones.

Oettinger and Witkowski met with the chancellor, were given a tour of the campus and attended the UW-Eau Claire vs. UW-Whitewater football game.

While the two were traveling back to Madison Saturday night to visit friends, Oettinger said he began to feel stomach pains.

By Sunday morning, Oettinger said the pains were unbearable and he was taken to the emergency room at UW Hospital in Madison.

Still partly in his Harry Potter costume, Oettinger earned the nicknames Harry and Mr. Potter from many of the doctors.

Oettinger had his appendix surgically removed on Sunday evening and was back in Eau Claire by Monday night.

Monday’s Student Senate meeting was cancelled.

Originally doctors thought his appendix burst, he said, but later they agreed it had only leaked, leaving Oettinger with three incisions.

Oettinger said walking, sitting up and sitting down are the main activities that give him the most grief.

Oettinger gives thanks to all who offered thoughts, gifts, cards and e-mails during his time away from campus.

No legislation was up for approval in Monday’s meeting, Witkowski said, adding, if there was going to be a week to miss, this one was probably an OK one to miss.

With Oettinger back in the Senate office on Wednesday, Finance Commission met Wednesday night to establish the target funding level for student organizations, or what Finance Director Nate Otto referred to as, “the pie.”

When each student organization lobbies for their requested amount at Nov. 7-8 budget hearings, Otto said they will be “taking a piece out of the pie,” ultimately establishing what students will pay for the 2002 academic year.

David Gessner, director of business services, said the budget estimates made for the 2002 academic year are based on enrollment numbers from the past 10 years.

Gessner said he then looks more closely at the enrollment figures from the past three years to help make the budget proposal.

He said when estimating the enrollment figures, many variables come into play such as the number of incoming freshmen, transfer students and students who drop out or do not graduate on time.

Currently, each student pays $239.50 per year in student segregated fees.

Otto said that number could rise or fall $2-3 after the entire commission has made its final decision.