Student input wanted in decision for new food service

Anna Nelson

The university will soon be renewing their dining services contract and since being recognized for their excellence, Chartwells may have an advantage at winning the account again.

The dining services for Eau Claire have been named a Center of Excellence in the region by Chartwells educational dining services. Chartwells is now the third dining service in the Midwest region, which is made up of 90 schools, to be recognized.

“I think we do a very nice job at what we do,” director of dining services Ron Markwell said.

There were several criteria which Eau Claire dining services had to meet to be considered for the award. They include having branded products, a good working relationship and remodeling facilities in the past ten years,

Markwell said the dining services do care about what the students want.

What the students want will be a key part in the review process. There is a committee made up of faculty members and students who will be examining each of the companies, including Aeromark and Sodexho-Marriot, bidding for the services at the university.

“I do believe it will cast a positive light on the evaluation,” Markwell said.

No matter which company is given the account at Eau Claire, students would like to see some changes in the food services.

“There is not enough variety at the cafeteria (in Hilltop),” sophomore Kerry Witherall said. “The food court is really expensive, as well.”

Students are happy with some of the services provided, but feel a greater variety would cater to the needs of various eating preferences, such as vegetarians.

“They don’t offer enough quality vegetarian options,” sophomore Steve Wessling said. He said he did like the display cook, who prepares specialty items, though.

Opinions of the food and services can be voiced to the food committee, which meets every Wednesday. The committee, which is made up of students, is responsible for deciding what type of food will be served at the Short Stop in Hilltop, keeping the food court open later and requiring employees to wear gloves at the Taco Bell in Hilltop.

“The dining services make really good attempts at catering to students,” said junior and employee in the Hilltop food court Jason Weihert. They are responsible for the display cook and the 10 meal plan, he said.

Chartwells provides food in Davies Center, Crest Wellness Center, Haas Fine Arts Center and Hilltop Center.