Bake sale, selling plants to raise money for non-traditional female students

Plants grown from cutlets and an assortment of baked goods will be sold Tuesday in Davies Center to raise money for non-traditional female students.

The University Women’s Association will host its annual plant and bake sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the West Lobby of the Davies Center.

“We really appreciate people patronizing the plant-bake sale because it is our fall fund raiser for the Student Emergency Grant Fund,” University Women’s Association Vice President Nicole Smethells said.

All proceeds from this annual event will be given to the Women’s Association Fund at the UW-Eau Claire Foundation, which is also known as the Emergency Grant Fund.

This fund consists of funds reserved primarily for non-traditional female students who encounter financial difficulties during their studies at the university.

Home-made cookies and bars will be sold for 50 cents, and bread will cost $1.50.

Varieties of house plants for sale include thilodendrons, scheffiera, ficus and dieffernbachia. The plants range in price from $1 to $5.

“The plant-bake sale is our way of helping out the non-traditional women students in situations which may arise during their academic studies which would cause interference in their quest for a university education,” said Sharon Heilman, chair of the sale.

The University Women’s Association is one of the campus’ longest-running organizations; it was started in the 1930s. It is open to women on staff and faculty spouses.

This annual fundraiser is aimed at doing something for someone else, Heilman said.

The University Women’s Association will hold its annual craft sale in December.