CNS gets new home in Old Library

The Computer Networking Services help desk moved its location April 8.

“We were cramped in the old place,” said help desk coordinator Charles Probst.

The new facility is located in the main hall of the Old Library in room 1144, across from the main computer lab.

He said there has been an increase in student staff due to a larger demand of aid needed from CNS.

In addition, the new location is more accessible for students.

It replaced the Continuing Education Office, which moved to Water Street.

The move and remodeling of the facility was funded by CNS and the Provost Office, said Jim Lowe, director of CNS.

Probst said the main reason for the move was for easier and more convenient student access.

The biggest benefit of the new facility for students is “location, location, location,” Probst said.

Lowe agreed.

“We want to better serve the students,” he said.

The bigger, more organized layout of the new facility also makes it easier and more comfortable for users, Probst said.

There also is more equipment there to fix user’s problems.

CNS monitors, maintains and upgrades all computer-related technology on campus, Probst said.

“It’s a lot nicer than the other one,” said sophomore Kurtis Rupnow, a student employee at CNS. He said it’s more open and they have big windows.

The move has made CNS more visible and more people are coming in for help, Probst said.

“For our goal to help users, this is really helping a lot,” he said.

Beginning this summer, the help desk also is planning on taking over the lap-top checkout, which is currently taken care of in the main computer lab.

Although the new help desk already is open to those who need assistance, it will be having its official grand opening in the fall.

It will be held a week or two into the semester.

Probst said, “We want to make sure everyone knows who we are and what we do.”