Committee reviews McIntyre Library

A four-person library review committee spent Wednesday and Thursday evaluating the trends of the McIntyre library and looking for ways to improve it.

“The library review is part of an ongoing routine process and part of the normal university schedule of reviews,” said Anne Utschig, an English professor and chair of the committee for reviewing the library.

Each member of the committee is from a different department at the university. This allows for a broad view of how accommodating the library is for people with various interests.

The committee began by interviewing faculty, staff and students to get feedback on the current conditions of the library. It also took advice from students who had submitted suggestions in the box located in the front of the library.

Utschig said there are six areas that were evaluated by the committee, including planning and administration, staff, services provided, equipment and technology, facilities and informational material.

Utschig has worked on reviewing committees before, but this is her first time working on a review of the library. She said it is a pleasure to review the McIntyre Library because she believes that it is a good library, which makes her job easier.

The library reviewing committee will compile its data and complete a report of its findings in two weeks. In response to its report, an action plan will be created and administration will check up approximately every six months to see that actions are being taken, depending on the results.

Utschig said reviews of the library are held every five to seven years.

McIntyre Library is a place students depend on for gathering research and providing a quiet place for studying.

Junior art history major Tina Gerard said she finds herself there more and more as the semester goes on.

“It’s the only place I can get any studying done,” Gerard said.