19th annual race scheduled for April 28

The UW-Eau Claire chapter of the American Marketing Association has found a way to combine working out, donating to charity and partying.

AMA is having its 19th annual Fun Run on April 28. The race is held to raise money for the organization and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Special Olympics, said senior Kristin Stedje, a member of AMA.

The five-kilometer race, which is scheduled to be held at Carson Park, starts at 10:30 a.m. at the Oak Pavilion and immediately is followed by a party at the pavilion. At the pavilion there is scheduled to be live bands, food and drawings for prizes for participants.

Winners of each age and gender category will receive medals for first, second and third places.

“It’s a good thing to do on a Saturday morning in April,” Stedje said.

This year there also will be a noncompetitive inline skating race held at 10 a.m. the same day.

AMA has gathered many local sponsors to donate prizes, food and money for the event, said senior Katie Essig, one of the event’s organizers and a former runner in the event.

The event is open to the public and the cost is $12 in advance or $15 the day of the race. More than 200 people participated in last year’s race and AMA is hoping to have a turnout of 300 people this year, Essig said.

People interested in joining the post-race party, but aren’t interested in running, are welcome to take part for $5.

“It’s a great way to get involved and meet new people,” Essig said.

People interested in running in the event can visit the organization complex in Davies Center to sign up.