Officials studying needs for new or renovated building

Student input will be a factor as university officials continue a campus-wide study to resolve space problems and make decisions regarding a building that could replace the campus school.

The study began in the fall after a budget proposal by the UW System Board of Regents included funds for a project to renovate or rebuild the campus school, formerly known as Park School. The building now houses the Children’s Center and other offices.

“We’re focusing right now on the space needs of departments,” Vice Chancellor Andrew Soll said.

If a new building did replace the campus school, the committee’s study of campus space needs would determine what departments would move where. In the fall, one department that had been discussed for the new building was the school of education, which has offices spread out over campus.

Academic departments were required to submit requests for space needs accompanying their programs. Committee members have conducted about 51 meetings with department chairs to discuss needs, Soll said.

The opportunity for student input will be given at a Chancellor’s Roundtable or similar meeting, Soll said, adding they also may ask Student Senate to look at student needs.

Concerns that have arisen so far are overcrowding in Hibbard Hall and the need for room for student organizations, Soll said.

An original proposal considered moving the foreign languages department and The Spectator from Hibbard Hall, but Soll said this was before the idea to look at the space needs of the entire campus evolved.

“These two areas are not being looked at anymore than anywhere else now,” he said.

Irene Lazda, chair of the foreign languages department, said she thought the meetings between the committee and departments were a step in the right direction.

Lazda said the foreign languages department has trouble finding classrooms for all of its instructors, and some have to teach in other buildings.

She also expressed a need for office space. Currently, their department offices are divided into two floors.

“This makes communication difficult,” she said.

Also, there are no informal rooms for student clubs or organizations to meet, she said, adding that they must meet in classrooms.

The need for more office space and classroom space has been a concern of many departments, Soll said.

“We’re still in the data-gathering stage,” he said. “There’s been a lot of discussion.”

As more technology is incorporated into a classroom, it has the tendency to reduce the capacity of a room, he said.

At this point, no decisions have been made, Soll said, adding they hope to have a list of issues by the end of February.

“Right now everything is on the table.”