Job shadowing program begins

Career Services has started a program aimed at allowing students to look into possible careers through job shadowing.

Job shadowing is a developing part of the “Partnering to 2005” program created by Career Services, the Eau Claire Area Economic Development Leaders and the International Association of Business Communicators.

The shadowing program gives students from UW-Eau Claire, UW-Stout and Chippewa Valley Technical College the chance to meet one-on-one with people in a career they’re interested in, said Jeanne Sinz, director of Career Services and program coordinator for job shadow day.

“We’re trying to enhance the connection between students and Chippewa Valley employers,” Sinz said. “It really is a partnership between the economic leaders, the university and students.”

This connection with area employers could lead to possible internship opportunities, Sinz said. That is why she encourages students to get involved with job shadowing and other employment opportunities such as internships.

“Job shadowing experience and internships are perhaps one of the best reality checks because it gives students opportunities to experience the workplace,” she said.

Sinz said it also helps students make better and more informed decisions about their futures.

Senior Erin Adams is one of the seven first-time participants in the shadow program that started Friday and is also one of its student developers. She is meeting through the program with Linda John, director of the Eau Claire Tourism and Convention Center.

The two attended a meeting to discuss the city’s final proposal to host ESPN’s Great Outdoors Games in Eau Claire.

John said she thinks it’s important to expose students to the business community and make them aware of some of the day-to-day challenges she and others encounter.

“I’m always supportive of opportunities like this that support students,” John said.

Senior Angie Hambrick said she is interested in going into higher education after graduation and is trying it out now by job shadowing with Chancellor Donald Mash.

Hambrick said she sat in on various meetings with the chancellor and attended a welcome ceremony on campus last week for the Leinenkugels brewing company.

“It is really a variety of things to give her a sense of what a chancellor does,” Mash said of the events he involves Hambrick in.

The theme of the partnering program is “Come to College, Stay for a Career” – an idea Sinz hopes students consider.

“One of the fallacies, I think, is that there are no career opportunities in the Chippewa Valley,” she said.

Sophomore Jennifer Borrell also has helped develop the shadow program and is meeting with United Way director Kris Becker. She said she thinks “Partnering to 2005” will get students to think about staying in the Eau Claire area.

“It’s realizing that there’s opportunities here,” she said.

Borrell also said she highly recommends the program to anybody.

“It gives you a feel for the real world.”