Tastemakers

Copy Editor Mady Leicks talks olives and Lana Del Rey
Photo by Mady Leick
Leicks’ weakness is anything that shines and is purple.

Editors note: Tastemakers is a column where we give you, the readers, a glimpse into what we at The Spectator are interested in (fashion, music, pop culture, etc.) It also takes heavy inspiration from Perfectly Imperfect, a paid Substack with content in a similar format. 

Mady Leick is a first-year journalism and political science student; this is her second semester at The Spectator and first as a copy editor. Leick, which you will not pronounce right, is one of three ‘Maddies’ on the Editorial Board. This has led to a “Spiderman: No Way Home” encounter basically every day. 

Other than having an unoriginal name, Mady also has some pretty unpopular opinions, in her eyes. Here is her one chance to rant about all of them. Take a look at everything on her Pinterest board. 

“Norman (F——) Rockwell”

Definitely the album of the season. Lana Del Rey released this album back in 2019, but it’s still hitting just as hard today. I am Lana Del Rey-obsessed, but this one has my heart at the moment. Shoutout to “The Greatest”, “Cinnamon Girl”, “Hope is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me To Have”.

I am a big Taylor Swift fan, with her being my top artist of all time and having a show on Blugold Radio Sunday solely focused on her. But as of recently, I’ve been phasing her out of my life, and Lana has been conquering that world. 

I would love to shout out “Let the Light in” from Reys’ Theres a Tunnel Under Ocean Bvld, in particular, is the only song I listen to that will make it all of the way from Hibbard to my dorm, more reliable than any guy in my life. 

Fun Fact: I have the album art poster on my wall, and it stares at me in the middle of the night.

Pickled things

I have loved pickles as long as I have been alive. They are the perfect mix of sour and crunchy, and sometimes, even spicy. It’s not an uncommon thing for a girl in the Midwest to love pickles, and it’s for a good reason. 

My love has recently gone slightly further, growing to olives. I enjoy all types, whether it be green, garlic stuffed or kalamata. I wouldn’t have thought that at 19 a kalamata olive would be the key to my heart, but here we are. 

Recently, I have discovered the beauty of banana peppers. They take the salty overload of pickles even further; sour, salty and amazing. 

Glitter

I love glitter with all of my heart. In all forms: loose, multicolored, glitter glue, glittery paint, edible glitter, the possibilities are endless. Since childhood, glitter has been one of my obsessions, and tends to liner: on my clothes and in my car. 

My favorite Taylor Swift song, “Bejeweled” said it best. 

Swift said, “What’s a girl gonna do, a diamond’s gotta shine”

In my car, I have an emergency glitter hair spray bottle, just in case I end up at a place where it’s essential. I have used that emergency spray several times since I put it there last September. 

Blugold Roast

I recently stumbled upon a lady with iced coffee in Mcintyre Library, and I have been changed. Blugold Roast is my favorite coffee shop on campus. This is not an advertisement, I just love it. 

The fact that it only costs $2 to fill up your own cup, means I can bring my Starbucks cup and get all of the iced coffee I could want. If I use the same cup at Starbucks, it’s at least six dollars.

Delicious, cost-effective and supporting students on campus, what is there not to love? 

Alone vs. lonely

Ok, this is a little bit more of a somber tone to end things on, but it’s become an important part of my life. I saw a quote (probably on Pinterest), that said there is a difference between being alone and being lonely. After my roommate moved out, I’ve been spending a lot of time alone, and it’s pretty swag. I think it can be scary, but also so incredibly helpful. 

Beyond living alone, I have also gotten used to spending a lot of time alone, outside of Governors Hall. I think coming to college, it can be easy to get comfortable doing whatever your friends are doing or following your roommate around. 

Recently I’ve been focusing on what I want to do. It sounds a little stupid, but as someone who used to struggle with being alone, it’s been a big change. 

But being alone is far different than being lonely.

Leick can be reached at [email protected]