Spectator Sing Along Power Hour

Spotify Wrapped: A year in tune

It is finally that time of year again and Spotify Wrapped has just dropped. It’s so fascinating to see everyone’s Spotify Wrapped lists this year as it gives you an insight into who they are as a person. 

Plus, the addition of personalized messages from artists has helped generate extra buzz. These messages have been an absolute treat. However, those who listened to niche or dead artists were left disappointed.

Looking back on the music I’ve listened to and the year I’ve had, my top five artists this year were unusual but unsurprising in many ways. To truly understand my top five, I’m going to analyze them against my personal experiences. 

For my fifth most listened-to artist, I got (drumroll please) P!nk. Making an unexpected comeback, P!nk materialized into my top five. She was certainly a staple of GEN Z’s listening experience as she was of mine. 

I’ve noticed that her music has served as a way to pick me up and keep me motivated. It certainly helps me get up the hill in the evenings. Her song “Funhouse” was my fourth most listened-to song this year. 

“Funhouse,” from the album of the same name, isn’t as popular as included hits such as “So What” but it makes an impact. With epic lyrics such as “This used to be a funhouse but now it’s full of evil clowns,” this song deserves way more praise than it gets. 

The next artist on my list is the always-iconic ABBA. These Eurovision winners have been a part of my life since my mom decided to show me Mamma Mia. Commonly remembered as my bisexual awakening, Mamma Mia encapsulates everything memorable about ABBA. 

It’s flashy, fun, romantic and has a ton of heart, along with heart-wrenching moments. After rewatching the flick recently, I’ve felt the need to revisit their works. 

While none of their songs made it onto my top five, my personal favorite of theirs is “Slipping Through My Fingers.” It’s a song that always makes me think of my mom and I feel at ease when listening to it. 

But enough of that sappy stuff because up next is Mother Mother. For those who don’t know, Mother Mother rocks. While the other artists I mentioned are therapeutic listening for me, Mother Mother is just fun to hear. 

I like the way I can just jam out to a fun guitar riff and not think about it. Not to say that their music can’t be very engaging. 

Hayloft” and its superior sequel “Hayloft II” weave a surprisingly dark tale of love and loss for first-time listeners. If you’ve never heard their music before, those two tunes are great starting points. 

In second place, we have the creator of my number-one song of the year, Hozier. The Irish artist has become very dear to me this past year along with his song, “Eat Your Young.” 

Lately, I’ve been finding it hard to grapple with becoming an adult, somewhat living on my own and dealing with my problems. Hozier’s music has helped me take things in stride. 

His songs often tackle feelings of loss and devotion in a way that is bittersweet but also fantastical. They accept the hardships going on around us but create a feeling of love and unity. 

Finally, we have, of course, Marina. I currently have a very unique relationship with this artist. I’ve loved her music for the past several years and she was even my number one artist last year. 

However, I have a hard time explaining how it makes me feel since her lyrics speak to me in so many ways. I’ve used her music as a crutch this year. 

As an example, I let my anxiety get the better of me this year and made my parents extremely worried for my well-being. 

I’m not going to go into details, but it was rough, and listening to her song “Teen Idle” helped me get through a particularly nerve-racking moment and helped me keep calm. 

I still listen to many of her other songs like “Seventeen,” my number two pick this year, but her songs hold a deeper meaning for me now. 

I hope you all felt a rollercoaster of emotions from your wrapped playlist this year and I look forward to the next one.

Curtin can be reached at [email protected].