Spectator Sing Along Power Hour: Nick Drake and autumnal snowfall

Nick Drake’s sound suits the new beginnings of a first snowfall wonderfully

Something very special happened this Tuesday: Eau Claire’s very first snowfall of the year. On Oct. 31, I awoke to a particularly crisp bedroom and snuggled into my sheets for a few extra moments before bounding to the nearest window. 

I shoved my curtain aside to reveal a sight I’d missed so very much — houses, lampposts and trees dusted with a gentle layer of snow. Already looking forward to my journey to school, I raced through the process of getting myself ready for the day. 

Donning a thick sweater, I began the task of putting my jewelry and other accessories on. A few necklaces and rings later, I was nearly finished. 

But one thing was missing — my headphones. I grabbed them from my dresser and slung them over my ears with haste, now ready to make my way to campus. 

Able to act as a makeshift pair of earmuffs and play music with astounding quality, my headphones are an absolute must when temperatures drop for the season. Now, the only remaining question was what to listen to in honor of the first snowfall. 

I’d been on an Elliot Smith kick a few weeks prior, but I favored a change to suit the new scenery and temperature. 

Something soft and pleasant was what I was truly searching for, and after a moment of perusing my Spotify for a fitting album, I settled on Nick Drake’s acoustic album, “Pink Moon.” 

Beginning with the star of the show, “Pink Moon,” and ending with the lovely, “From The Morning,” the album maintains an easy, tender sound from start to finish. 

Drake’s careful combination of poetic lyricism, acoustic guitar and lilting piano yields an album I’m content to listen to at any moment. 

I discovered Drake from his cameo in the book, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” when I was in high school, and immediately took a liking to his mellow sound. 

His instrumental songs became my favorite homework soundtrack and he settled into my ever-growing list of loved artists. So, “Pink Moon” felt like a familiar embrace on this special day, and reminded me of just how long Drake’s music has been a light in my life. 

As I crossed the bridge, the autumnal hues that had been delighting my eyes for the past few weeks were still vibrant as ever but dazzled me even more when graced with a light layer of snow. 

Paired with the balladic, “Place To Be,” my walk was so full of wonder and warmth that I hardly noticed the dull ache of my chilled fingertips, which were hidden behind thick mittens. 

As I approached campus, I fast-forwarded to the song, “Parasite,” one of my favorites out of Drake’s entire discography. 

The interesting juxtaposition of the sweet, melodic instrumentals accompanied by devastating, melancholy lyrics creates a song that continually makes its way into my playlists. 

In summary, Drake’s “Pink Moon” elicits many of the same feelings the first snowfall does, and this album’s unique place in my heart made it the perfect choice for an exceptional day. 

O’Brien can be reached at [email protected]