Poetry & Freedom series by Andi Kopek 

The new 2 Roots Gallery presents a night of poetry and art
Photo by Ella Freeman
Andi Kopek describes one of his poems during the event.  

2 Roots Art & Wine Gallery hosted the second installment of the Poetry & Freedom series on Saturday, Oct. 21. 

This art and wine venue, formerly known as 200 Main Art & Wine, is hosting the author of the upcoming poetry book Shmehara for three Saturdays in a row. 

The author, Andi Kopek said that there were two reasons he decided to make this event a three-part series. 

“First, because nobody knows me as an artist and a poet, I thought nobody would come to my first reading,” Kopek said. “But, after that first reading maybe people will start talking about it a little bit and I will get more of an audience.” 

Kopek said he deals with some stage fright and public speaking anxiety, so he wanted to give himself some time to practice, hoping he would be most at ease by the third night. 

At the event, Kopek read five poems from the upcoming book, as well as sharing the art pieces specially created for each poem. Along with that, each piece of art includes a QR code, which can be scanned to reveal a dynamic illustration. 

“During COVID-19, in restaurants QR codes started to show up,” Kopek said. “You could scan and have a menu; I thought it was a great idea to help introduce something. I thought, ‘why not use the advantage of digital media and have QR codes in my book.’” 

Kopek said each of the 21 poems in the book will feature both a still and dynamic illustration. 

According to Kopek, when he writes and reads, he sees things in a 3D image. He said the QR codes bring to life his vision and the reader can choose to see his interpretation or imagine their own. 

“When I am doing my poetry, I want my poems to (read as) very visual, when you close your eyes I want you to see them,” Kopek said. “It’s really like a little movie, so I wanted to combine all these things and give people a little move through QR codes.” 

Melissa Winship, audience member and life coach of Kopek, was excited to attend the reading to support Kopek. 

Winship said she loved the venue where the event was being held and was very impressed by Kopek’s poetry. 

2 Roots Gallery is a new venue in Eau Claire. There is a massive wine selection downstairs along with local art adorning the walls. The poetry event was being held upstairs in a book nook-style loft.  

“This space is awesome. I love the art downstairs, I love the wine availability, I love that they have this space upstairs to do something like this,” Winship said. 

Kopek said he shared similar feelings about the new venue. 

“I like this venue because it has this extra space upstairs with the equipment and the projector, which fit perfectly with what I wanted to do,” Kopek said. 

A new employee with 2 Roots and local artist, Jeffray Lesperez said the efficiency of the venue has been amazing. According to Lesperez, the public has been loving the new venue. 

Lesperez said he is glad this venue can host many different types of art, such as the paintings on the walls and things like the poetry reading. 

“I think that art should be infinite and in any genre, it should be more complex and sharing of different ideas, it doesn’t need to be in one setting all the time,” Lesperez said.

Kopek said he is looking forward to the next Poetry & Freedom event on from 7 to 8:30 p.m. on Oct. 28 and hopes it will be the biggest turnout yet. 

“I am asking people to listen and enjoy this new project and hoping they will support it,” Kopek said. 

Freeman can be reached at [email protected].