Fruehauf Going Off

Wisconsin claimed their fourth win of the season after topping Illinois 31-14 last Saturday. The Badgers came up with a 21-point fourth quarter to clinch the win. With the victory, the team now has a 20-game winning streak at Camp Randall Stadium spanning back to last year.

Joel Stave showed yet another impressive game, throwing for a personal best 254 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. Jared Abbrederis was his target of choice, hooking up seven times for 117 yards and a touchdown.

Jared Abbrederis

Finally, Abbrederis is showing consistency. In the first three games of the season, he accumulated 110 yards total. He topped that in one game this week. I’ve been a believer in this guy since the start of the season and to now see him produce at the level that I thought he could is reassuring.

Badgers on the Run

The Badgers run game looked quite impressive this past weekend as well. Montee Ball ran for 116 yards and two touchdowns on the night. That’s now 206 yards and five touchdowns in the past two games. That’s unbelievable; this guy is a work horse. James White also did well rushing for 42 yards and catching a pass for 62 yards and a touchdown.

I can’t help but think that Wisconsin is starting to find a bit of stability. Stave is producing better than I could have imagined, the run game is always good and we are looking at the makings of a stud wide receiver. They were close to beating ranked Nebraska as well.

Stay Consistent

The only thing I would question is the team’s consistency. If they are not able to keep this wave moving, they won’t have much of a season to make of. To stay consistent, I would stress the need for production through the air and on the ground. Too many times the Badgers have become dependent on one or the other, but when both are clicking, it makes it that much more difficult for defenses.

My worry is that while Stave may look good right now, he could become flustered amongst better defenses. Also, the limited production of other wide receivers except for Abbrederis could prove to be detrimental to the passing offense.

Also, while they are riding smooth on some good scoring production, the Badgers have been notorious for limited scoring ability this season. But let’s not jinx anything. For now we are showing signs of life which is good enough for Wisconsin fans at the moment.

They play Purdue next week, a team that can put up some points. In three of their first five games, they scored more than 48 points. The Badgers have yet to score 40. They will have to come ready to produce offensively otherwise they’ll get embarrassed by the Boilermakers.