The return of afroman

Renee Rosenow

A fairly well-known musician is scheduled to play in Eau Claire this weekend.

Tomorrow night, “Afroman” and several other hip-hop acts will hit the stage at 9 p.m. at The Stones Throw, 304 Eau Claire St., with the doors opening at 8 p.m.

“Afroman” made his music famous in 2001 when the hit song “Because I Got High” became the most popular song of that summer. His comical tune about the pitfalls of smoking too much marijuana became a top 10 hit in more than 10 countries. The single helped “Afroman’s” debut album, “The Good Times,” became certified gold in the United States.

Senior Kyle Sulerud is partial owner of Effit record company, a label that has signed some of the opening acts. Sulerud is also a member of “The Eff’d Up,” one of the opening acts for the show, and was in charge of organizing the event in Eau Claire.

“The tour was a result of this show actually,” Sulerud said. “I really wanted to get him here to Eau Claire, so then he put together some other shows around the state.”

“Afroman” will also be stopping in Duluth and Maplewood, Minn., with a few stops in Iowa as well.

Sulerud said another big reason “Afroman” is touring is because of his album, “Waiting to Inhale,” released on Feb. 8.

Sophomore Kyle Olson is interested to see if “Afroman” will play more of his new songs, or if it will be mostly classics.

“I like his older stuff a lot better, and it’s better known too,” Olson said. “I hope he still plays plenty of his old songs.”

Sulerud assures anyone interested in going to the show that “Afroman” will be playing both.

“He’ll be doing new stuff I’m sure, but you can always count on his classics,” Sulerud said. “He likes to give the fans what they want.”

A year ago in Duluth, Minn., Sulerud was able to see “Afroman” live for the first time, and was impressed with what he saw. He added that “Afroman” is a much more versatile musician than most people give him credit for.

“It’s going to be one of the most entertaining shows you’ve seen,” Sulerud said. “He plays guitar and sings and raps. People will not be let down.”

Olson has heard similar remarks about the show, and is equally enthusiastic.

“I just heard that ‘Afroman’ always puts on a good show, and people who go always have a good time,” Olson said.

Anyone who enjoys having fun should feel welcome at the show, said Sulerud. He said anyone who shows up would likely have a good time.

There will be three opening acts before “Afroman” hits the stage, including “PeeWee Dread”, “Z Love” and Sulerud’s group, “The Eff’d Up.”

“PeeWee Dread” is from the Twin Cities and leads a reggae band. He will be leaving his fellow band members behind, however, and doing a solo rap performance for his part of the show.

“Z Love,” a rapper from Eau Claire, will follow up “PeeWee Dread” and has been around the area for a long time.

“He had a lot to do with getting the whole hip-hop scene started here in Eau Claire,” Sulerud said.

After “Z Love” concludes his performance, Sulerud and the other members of “The Eff’d Up” will take the stage. “The Eff’d Up” is a hip-hop group that has been around for about four years now.

“We like to do big things,” Sulerud said. “Sometimes we bring in instruments. A friend of ours plays saxophone, and we like to incorporate that as much as possible.”

You must be 21 or older to attend the show, and tickets are available at The Stones Throw, or online at www.thestonesthrow.com.

Tickets cost $15 in advance, or $18 the day of the show, but there may not be any left the day of the performance.

“We’ve already sold quite a few tickets, and we’re expecting to sell out,” Sulerud said. “If you want to make sure you get in, either get there early, or get them (tickets) way ahead of time.”