Blugolds drop three over weekend

Lyssa Beyer

Even in the pouring rain, fans managed to enjoy themselves Friday at the men’s lacrosse game.

“We were pretty surprised so many people showed up with the rain,” senior captain Jeremy Clements said. It was pouring rain the entire night, but there were just as many fans in the bleachers toughing it out as there were fans in boxes, Clements said. He also said the team is happy with the support it’s gotten from fans, alumni and family.

The lacrosse team lost its game Friday night 10-4 against St. John’s University (Minn.).

“It was a good game, we played really hard and we did decent,” Clements said.

The first quarter of the game was scoreless, but was filled with nonstop action. St. Johns is the fifth ranked team in the nation.

Fans seemed especially excited with the competing team, showing support with aggressive cheers and rants.

“The fans got riled up,” Clements said. “It was the only home game and then there’s the public and private school rivalry.”

St. John’s scored the first goal of the game, about five minutes into the second quarter, and scored its second goal 30 seconds later. St. John’s had a total of five unanswered goals, until junior Ross Wrobel scored the first goal two minutes into the third quarter. Junior Mitch Davis and sophomore Adam Gruver both scored goals in the same quarter, leaving the score at 9-3 when the buzzer sounded at the end of the quarter. Each team scored another goal in the final quarter, putting the final score at 10-4; a win for St. John’s.

The team played two more games this weekend in Minnesota, against Bethel (Minn.) and Carleton (Minn.), losing both.

“We didn’t play nearly as good as we wanted,” Clements said.

The team lost 17-5 against Bethel, and Clements said they are the oldest rivalry within the league.

“We weren’t with it . it was an unfortunate loss,” Clements said.

Carleton won 10-7 in what Clements said was another disappointing game because of poor performance. The Blugolds started off slow, but there was a good surge at the end with five goals in the fourth quarter, Clements said.

He hopes the losses of this weekend don’t carry over into the playoffs next week.

“Our morale got sucked down,” Clements said.

Playoffs are Friday through Sunday in Blaine, Minn.

The team has been doing really well overall, with big wins and out-of-conference success, Clements said. He has been playing on the team all four years and thinks the program has really been progressing.

“Every year, we get more and more recruits,” he said. Clements wants to pull it together for the playoffs so the team can end the season on a high note.

“We just want to put on a good show for the fans.”