Playing in a different atmosphere: campus

Chris Kemp

For the past five years only those 21 and older could cast their vote in Organization of New Entrepreneurs’ Battle of the Bands.

That changed last Thursday when the event’s first qualifying round took place in the Council Fire Room of Davies Center for the first time.

“We decided to try and bring it back on campus to cater to underage students,” O.N.E. president senior Rachel Olson said. “and especially to students in the dorms who may not have an opportunity to go to that many events.”

About 200 people attended to see Fat MawRooney, Ladder El and Regimenrong in the first of two qualifying rounds, she said. Ladder El won the event with 81 votes.

The next round will take place this Thursday in the Council Fire Room and will feature Green Mountain Rebels, Hickabilly Blooze and Shekere3.

Ladder El, the winner of the second round and a “Wild Card” band that O.N.E. members will choose will compete at House of Rock, 422 Water St. on April 14th, for a chance to play at Summerfest in Milwaukee, Olson said.

Junior Katie Kuzma said she went out with a large group of friends to support some of the band members they know. She said she liked that her underage friends could join her.

“I kind of like the House of Rock.” Kuzma said. “I like their stage a lot better.”

She said a great benefit of the Council Fire Room was that the event was smoke free.

Olson said while she was unsure whether the downsides of having the concert on the campus, including the high costs, were out weighed by the positives of the event, she did said the students were having a great time.

“It was almost like putting a bar atmosphere right in Davies,” she said.

Kuzma said she appreciated that there were places to sit, and that she also could go mosh near the stage.

“(The mosh pit) was insane during Regimenrong,” she said.

Ladder El’s singer Joel Almunis Bowlsby said he didn’t like that it was in Davies because the music had to be done by 11 p.m. and that caused a time crunch.

O.N.E. Battle of the Bands Second Round
    Time: 9:30 p.m.
    Date: Thursday
    Place: Council Fire Room, Davis Center
    Cost: $5

O.N.E. Battle of the Bands Final Round
    Time: 9:30 p.m.
    Date: April 14th
    Place: House of Rock, 422 Water St
    Cost: $5

“I felt bad for Fat MawRooney,” he said. “They got a bad time slot.”

He said because Fat MawRooney thought the show was later its drummer didn’t come until 8:45 p.m. so everyone played a shorter set.

Bowlsby said he was a little surprised they won.

“Fat MawRooney was incredible,” he said, but winning revolved around how many people came out to see you.

He said he wasn’t sure how the band will do in the finals since he didn’t know who else was playing or what the crowd would be like, but he said he hoped they would win.

“I think we would have a fun time at Summerfest.”