Swim team ready for WIAC

Aaron Vehling

Between competing at any one of the 12 swim meets of the season and challenging each other at the high ropes course, the Blugold swim team has accomplished a lot this year.

At times, their practice may have seemed a bit overwhelming and time-consuming. But in the end, many of the swimmers and divers ended up with 20 or more great friends and a year of unforgettable memories.

“I’ve met my best friends through being a member of the team,” senior Ashley Quist said.

As the season winds down another year, six seniors prepare for their final meet at Eau Claire against UW-Oshkosh. The seniors include Quist, Kristjana Marston, Renee Renelt, Liz Rodgers, Jill Wendorff and Dan Vonfeldt.

This weekend the seniors will get recognition for their years on the team at a at 1 p.m dual meet Saturday at McPhee Pool.

The Blugolds have had a solid season for both the men’s and women’s teams.

The women’s team has won the last three meets, beating out Macalester College (Minn.), UW-River Falls and UW-Whitewater. Last December the women took first out of four teams at the UW-Oshkosh Titan Invitational.

The men’s team has taken two victories in the last three meets, defeating both Macalester and River Falls.

The divers have been successful this year as well. Every meet, both the men’s and women’s divers took many, if not all, of the three top places.

Recently, Vonfeldt was named the WIAC’s Athlete of the Week. At the Whitewater meet, he received a score of 291.25 in the 3-meter event, giving him a national qualifying score.

This week the teams begin working on tapering for the WIAC Championships, which will be held Feb. 20-22 at UW-Stevens Point.

“I am looking forward to competing at conference for the first time,” sophomore Sarah Alt said. “We have been working really hard and I think everyone is ready.”