COUNTERPOINT: Metrodome magic will strike again

Read a column from the other perspective.

Every year, the Vikings and the Packers play tight, competitive football, and the teams’ records don’t seem to make a difference in the result of the game. The two teams generally win at home, and the season split leaves fans for both teams satisfied.

Of course, last year’s results left a bad taste in the mouth of many Vikings and their fans. I still have not fully comprehended what happened that Monday night game in Green Bay. I only remember up to the Vikings’ botched field goal “attempt” at the end of regulation. And I refuse to acknowledge that game in the Metrodome. Seriously – it never happened.

The Vikings don’t like losing to the Packers – especially twice in the same season – so this is the season for revenge for the Purple. Add to the fact that the team is desperate for a win.

The reason for the Vikings’ slow start this season has, surprisingly, been the offense. The vaunted receiving combination of Cris Carter and Randy Moss have combined for three touchdowns this year, and the Vikings haven’t had anything close to a 100-yard rusher this year.

The Vikings defense, which in the last few years has been good only as a punchline, has actually played pretty well this year, of course, I didn’t actually watch the second half of the Detroit game.

Despite its improvement, the Vikings defense still isn’t good enough to hold down the Packers offense. What Brett Favre did against Baltimore was quite frightening. Figure that in with the struggling Vikings offense, and the game looks like a mismatch.

But there is one major factor that favors Minnesota. The game is being played in the Metrodome.

In this series, the home team has a huge advantage whenever they play. The Packers can’t play in the Metrodome because the loud crowd gives poor Brett Favre a headache, and the Vikings can’t play in Lambeau because they always get frostbite on their toes.

The Metrodome has produced some weird moments in the history of the Vikings-Packers series. My favorite is the 1994 game, when Eric Guliford caught a 45-yard pass with five seconds left to set up the winning field goal – it was Guliford’s only catch as a Viking.

Favre has said that he cries on the airplane after the Packers lose in Minnesota. Undoubtedly, this is because of the ringing in his ears from the Metrodome crowd. I see the Vikings’ outdated stadium playing a major factor in the game on Sunday.

So here’s the prediction. The Vikings will jump to a big lead, then hang on for dear life as the Packers’ rally falls just short. I see a botched field goal attempt as time expires. Final score- Minnesota 31, Green Bay 29.