Intramural basketball team falls short of crown

An intramural basketball team from UW-Eau Claire headed to Orlando, Fla., to compete in the Target 5-on-5 National Basketball Championship.

The team competed in the tournament April 20 and 21.

But before it could go to Orlando, the team had to compete in a regional tournament.

“We had to win regionals in La Crosse,” freshman Amy Peterson said. “There were nine girls teams that we had to beat.”

There were six states represented at the regional tournament.

The squad earned a trip to Disney World for its efforts and the chance to be the national 5-on-5 champions.

The team, named Super Stars, consisted of five Eau Claire students, Kristy Klinke, senior Sarah Schmitt, senior Jackie Masephol, Peterson, sophomore Jill Fisher and junior Katrina Bjornlie.

“We found out about the tournament from signs posted all around Davies,” Peterson said. “Sarah Schmitt called us all to see if we wanted to play.”

In the opening round of the 5-on-5 competition, the representatives from Eau Claire challenged teams from California State University-Northridge, University of Louisville (Ky.) and Georgia College and State University.

In the first game the Super Stars played California State. They won the game 56-43.

The deciding loss for the Eau Claire team was a 56-54 overtime loss to GCSU, which went on to win the championship.

After their loss to GCSU, the Super Stars went on to lose to Louisville by a 58-45 margin.

“The competition down there was really good,” Fisher said. “We played really well together for only playing together 20 minutes before we went to the tournament.”

GCSU and Louisville, the two teams with the best records, went on to the next bracket to challenge teams from the other division of play.

North Carolina State University challenged GCSU in the final game of the tournament but lost the championship 42-37.

GCSU ended the contest with an undefeated 5-0 record.

In between games, individual competitions were held. Two players from Eau Claire took honors in these events.

Fisher took top honors in the Women’s Hot Shot Contest. The contest tested her shooting skills at various points around the court. She won by hitting more shots than the other individual contestants.

Bjornlie won the Women’s 3-point Shot Contest. She completed more shots from left, right and center spots behind the 3-point line than her competition.