Women’s tennis doubles partners receive Kwik Trip Athlete of the Week awards

Morgan Dekan and Sydney Presler earned the title after going 4-0 at the start of the season
“We have known each other for so long that our bonding has helped us get to where we are today.” (Photo by Spencer Flaten, UWEC)

Women’s tennis doubles team, fifth-year neuroscience and math student Sydney Presler and third-year economics student Morgan Dekan, were awarded the Kwik Trip Athlete of the Week awards. 

Although the award is typically only given to one student, these doubles partners both received the title, due to their team effort in securing their undefeated winning streak, according to Blugold Athletics

According to Dekan, her and Presler’s chemistry on the court helps them lock in and play to the best of their abilities since they understand each other’s style of play. 

“This will be our last set of conference matches and we might as well go out with a bang.”                                                                                                      (Photo by Spencer Flaten, UWEC)

“The whole team has worked really hard in practice,” Dekan said. “Sydney and I have done a lot outside of practice, as well. We’ve known each other for so long that our bonding has helped us get to where we are today.

Presler said her time working with Dekan has helped them develop familiarity with each other and understand each other’s strengths and weaknesses. 

“I put a lot of my time into working on volleys,” Presler said. “Moving into the net isn’t the most natural for me so I work really hard on the court to make clean volleys and smart decisions about when to move up.” 

Dekan said she is confident in her doubles partner’s ability to have her back in a match. 

“We put a lot of focus on having fun and enjoying our time out there,” Dekan said. “I also focus on putting the ball away at the net because I know Sydney will keep the ball in play for me or hit a winner if I can’t pull it off up at the net.“

According to Presler, the duo has worked hard for all four of their wins.

“Since getting back to school, I have been practicing hard, lifting and doing the best I can when I show up to the court,” Presler said. “I like to reflect on my last match and I apply that to my practice for the future.”

Dekan said their teammates and coaches help the pair win by always having their backs and supporting them in any way possible. 

“Our teammates are the most supportive girls around,” Dekan said. “They are always helping us at practice or applauding our shots, even if it is for their downfall. I can always count on them to cheer us on.”

According to Dekan, the team has a big upcoming tournament this weekend, and they hope to keep their 4-0 winning streak going. 

“We have the championship next weekend and we hope our winning streak continues and we can win the conference,” Dekan said. “Sydney will be graduating after this year, so this will be our last set of conference matches and we might as well go out with a bang.”

The women’s tennis team will be competing at the WIAC Championship at noon on Oct. 21 at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin.

Allessi can be reached at [email protected].