UW- Eau Claire Women’s hockey goalie Alexa Backmann earns WIAC Kwik Trip Athlete of the Week

Backmann talks about her honor and performance this year.
Alexa Backmann working to block a goal. Photo used with permission from Chico La Barbera.

UW- Eau Claire women’s hockey goalie first-year Alexa Backmann was named the WIAC Kwik Trip Athlete of the Week. Backmann said the nomination is an exciting honor.

“I know how many talented athletes there are and the fact I was even considered was really exciting,”  Backmann said.

In her performance against UW-Stevens Point on Saturday, Jan. 27, Backmann didn’t allow a single goal and had 15 saves.

Since Dec. 5th, first-year Backmann has only given up six goals en route to an eight-game win streak for the Blugolds. In the midst of this win streak Backmann had a season and career high saves of 25 against Augsburg.

Backmann accredits her performance to her preparation before games. 

“Prepping for the entire day instead of a couple hours before the game. Thinking about what I’m going to do during the game, what I’m going to contribute,” Backmann said.

Preparing for the entire day has been a change since she’s been at college, and has helped impact her performance. The preparation and thought of how she is going to contribute to her team beforehand, has been a factor for the first year student.

Being a part of a team that has a 17-4 record and a conference record of 7-1, Backmann said the energy has been high and the team is in good spirits. 

“The energy is really good. Everybody is so fun but they take things seriously when we have to,” Backmann said.

The team has the perfect mix of enjoying each other and working as a team, while also competing and giving it their all. With all the success surrounding the team, Backmann knows her purpose on the team and individually.

“Believing in myself as an individual. Knowing that I can help my team the best I can. Knowing I am capable of contributing to every game we play,” Backmann said.

Backmann has made an impact on the Blugolds team play, giving up two goals or less in 11 games. In those games, the Blugolds are 10-1.

Backmann’s season total consists of 185 saves, .925 save percentage, and an average of 1.37 goals allowed per game. The Blugolds are 9-2 when Backmann has stepped in to play goalie.

With four games remaining, the Blugolds women’s hockey team has a vision.

“Keep working to win a National Championship, take every game one at a time,” said Backmann.

With this vision, Backmann and the team know that there are steps to getting there and to keep competing at an elite level. 

“We overcome whatever problems we have one at a time and figure out what we need to do to better ourselves to continue winning,” Backmann said.

A big factor that has stood out to Backmann and has contributed to her performance is the support she receives from the team. “My teammates and them cheering me on has always helped.” 

As the season comes to an end, the Blugolds have a huge matchup against the undefeated no.1 ranked UW-River Falls Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. on the road at Hunt Arena. 

The no. 8 ranked Blugolds last faced UW-River Falls Nov. 18 in which the Blugolds were defeated 5-2. Since that matchup, the Blugolds have gone 11-2.

Backmann did not play in the game against UW-River Falls Nov. 18 and will be looking to make her impact and compete at the level she has performed at so far this season.

After the last four games are played on the Blugolds schedule, Backmann and the Blugolds will have the opportunity to compete for a chance in the NCAA National Championship.

Benes can be reached at [email protected].