Soccer wins at home

The women’s soccer team used excitement, intensity and solid defense to defeat UW-Whitewater 3-1 Saturday at home.

The ‘Golds were ready to play when they stepped out onto the field Saturday, senior Sara Bahlmann said.

“I think the whole spirit of homecoming helped a lot,” she said. “We were pumped up and ready to go.”

The women got out to a bit of a slow start, and the game was scoreless at halftime. Nonetheless, the team played very well throughout the first half, senior Emily Peterson said.

“We were dominating in the first half, but couldn’t put shots away,” she said. “Once we got our first goal everything changed.”

That first goal came three minutes into the second half. Sophomore Kris Unterweger scored on the assist from freshman Michelle Hanninen.

“We’re a second half team, and we proved it,” Bahlmann said. “We finally clicked in the second half; we really communicated well.”

The team was strong in several areas Saturday, Peterson said.

“Our passing was good and we kept our midfield shape,” she said. “And our defense was very dominant.”

Bahlmann agreed, adding that the team also has some unsung heroes.

“Our forwards get frustrated because they’re under so much pressure to score,” Bahlmann said. “They don’t realize that they’re really an asset to the team. Our forwards did an awesome job (Saturday),” she said.

The ‘Golds face UW-Superior Wednesday at 4 p.m. Superior traditionally isn’t a strong team, Bahlmann said, and many of the women could see some significant playing time.

“We’ve got a deep bench and everyone can contribute” she said.

The women will work to keep the level of play high Wednesday, Peterson said.

“It will be a mental challenge more than a physical one.”