Volleyball wins Friday, can’t hang on Saturday

Spectator file photo

The women’s volleyball team opened WIAC play Friday night with a win over UW-Platteville, but fell to UW-La Crosse Saturday afternoon.

“The main difference between the two matches was consistency,” assistant coach Nate Somers said. “It’s the main thing that we need to build on.”

The women defeated Platteville in four games. Eau Claire jumped out to an early lead winning the first game 30-21. Platteville answered, winning the second 30-28.

The Blugolds then took control of the match and won the last two games, 30-26.

Sophomore middle blocker Brooke Wozniak led the way for the Blugolds offensively Friday night. Wozniak compiled 15 kills and five blocks in the win.

Junior outside hitter Julie Bobbe played well and finished with 10 kills.

Senior setter Andrea Hemple was the defensive leader, racking up 28 digs and 46 assists.

“We started out strong against Platteville,” head coach Lisa Herb said. “We let them back into it in the second but bounced back. I’m happy we dug ourselves out of a hole and got the win.”

The competition against La Crosse, however, was a different story.

The Eagles put numbers on the scoreboard first, winning game one 30-19.

The ‘Golds bounced back and won the second game in similar fashion, 30-20.

Momentum shifted once again and La Crosse won the last two games 30-20, 30-25.

“We did not play with the same type of intensity against La Crosse,” Herb said.

Three Blugolds finished with double digits in the kill department. Bobbe and Wozniak led the way once again with 15 and 14 kills respectively. Sophomore middle blocker Lindsay Pederson pitched in with ten kills.

Hemple distributed the ball evenly and ended the match with 41 assists.

“We blocked well against La Crosse,” Somers said. “We made more mistakes than they did though.”

The ‘Golds are now 10-4 on the season and 1-1 in conference play.

Unforced errors have been the persistent thorn in the Blugolds’ side this season, Herb said.

“We need to cut down on our unforced errors,” she said. “We need to play more consistently.”

Somers said she feels the team’s consistency problems are due to players not rising to the occasion and picking up play at decisive points in the match.

“We have great leadership on this team,” he said. “We just need someone to step up and lead by example.”

The women travel to Duluth, Minn. Wednesday to battle with non-conference rival St. Scholastica.

This weekend the ‘Golds host the Lisa Siegenthaler Tournament at McPhee.

Competition will be heated, Herb said. With four WIAC teams invited, UW-River Falls, UW-Superior, UW-Stevens Point and UW-Stout are all scheduled to compete.

The Blugolds may be gunning for one team in particular. Stout edged out the Blugolds 3-1 in the final of the Augsburg Invitational at the beginning of the month.