Women’s basketball team falls to Stout in overtime

The women’s basketball team lost to the UW-Stout Blue Devils in a heart-breaker Wednesday night.

The hoopsters lost by a score of 97-96 in overtime.

The game went back and forth with the Blugolds leading by as much as 13 points in the first half and never trailing by more than four. Going into halftime the Blugolds held the lead 44-37.

In the second half, the ‘Golds were able to maintain a slim, but constantly contested lead. Midway through the half, Eau Claire had a controlling eight-point lead.

With 14 seconds remaining in the seccond half, the Blugolds were down 83-80. Stout had a chance to put the Blugolds out of scoring distance, but two missed free throws by a Blue Devils player kept the ‘Golds in the game.

With five seconds remaining, Blugolds senior Vanessa Schley sank a shot from behind the arc to send the game into overtime.

The extra period followed the pattern of the previous two halves with a down-to-the-wire decision.

The lead shuffeled back and forth between the Blugolds and the Blue Devils for all five overtime minutes.

Headed into the final minute of overtime, the game was tied at 94. Senior Jessie Brantner sank a jumper to give the Blugolds the lead with 30 seconds remaining.

With only 22 seconds left in overtime, the Blue Devils sank a three-pointer to give them the lead and the win.

Schley led all scorers with 17 points. Brantner followed Schley with 15 points, and senior Meagan Whatley followed closely with 14.

The women have the weekend off, but will continue play on Feb. 7 against UW-Stevens Point.