His own thing

Check out Steve Schad’s website

Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles may be music from the past, but their psychedelic movement inspired many of today’s local musicians.

While watching the legendary Led Zeppelin on the TV screen at age 4, Steve Schad’s interest in music began. By age 17, his parents bought him a guitar, thus, opening a new door into his life.

Back then, his music was more acoustic and vocal. Schad described himself through his music as “an acoustic, coffee house kind of guy.”

Today, Schad’s music is more instrumental with little to no vocals. In his music, Schad said he is focused on “not doing what is expected.”

His music today is inspired by many of the great classic rock bands of all time. Their music was adventurous, and he liked how the bands didn’t stick to one thing, he said.

As a musician, he said he faces many challenges.

“Traveling is probably the biggest challenge,” Schad said. He spends endless hours on the road going between shows as a part-time musician.

He also faces the challenge of getting his music out to the right people. It is difficult to be heard, he said.

Schad sends demo tapes to cities in the Midwest and waits for people to call him back.

About four years ago, Schad heard of Acoustic Caf‚, 505 S. Barstow St., and its music scene from another local musician while playing at Borders, 4030 Commonwealth Ave. So, Schad gave it a shot.

The Acoustic Caf‚ is a sandwich/coffee shop that offers free music. Musicians who play there make money from audience tips.

Megan Fredrick, the music organizer for Acoustic Caf‚, liked what she heard when she received Fredrick’s demo tape. She called up Schad and asked him to play at the caf‚.

“(His music is) something a little different,” Fredrick said. She added that she expects a good turnout for his concert Saturday night.

Schad has two-and-a-half hours on stage to present his music. He said his set list will give the audience a little bit of everything.

Included will be some well-known covers, like “Strawberry Fields” and “Here Comes the Sun” by The Beatles, “Voodoo Child” by Jimi Hendrix and “Hey, Hey What Can I Do” by Led Zeppelin.

Schad’s latest CD, “Apollo in the Underground,” which came out at Christmas, will be sold at Saturday’s show.