Nostalgialistic

The elementary school holiday season
Nostalgialistic
Photo by Marisa Valdez

Right now, I wish I could go back to elementary school.

Think back to this time of year in school growing up.

You would look out the window and it was snowing. You know it was going to be a great recess because you would get to go sledding and make snowmen.

We had time to be outside, get our energy out and have fun, giving us a break from sitting and learning.

It is the time of the year when we would have our holiday party. It typically was the last day before break and everyone looked forward to it all week, if not all month.

First, we got to decorate our cookies however we wanted. Of course, we had to show them off to each other.

Then we would do our holiday crafts while listening to music. We would dance around and make paper snowflakes and whatever else they had us put together.

Finally, we gathered around on the floor to watch our holiday movie while eating our snacks.

It was one of the best days of the year. A whole day we got to hang out with all our friends and have fun in school.

It was the perfect way to end the year.

Then we would go home and show our parents all the things we created and they were so excited for us.

What was even better was when your parents volunteered to help. It made you feel so special and cool because your parents got to participate too, and you were able to leave right away afterward. That was the same when your best friend’s parents were there. You felt cool because you knew the adult.

Not only did we get a whole day holiday party, but we also got snow days.

We got days off school just because it was snowing and the roads weren’t great. We would get to sleep in, then play in the snow or watch TV all day. Now we drive through the bad weather to get to class and there are no class parties.

A lot of the activities we were involved in as kids revolved around the holidays. It seemed like everywhere you went you were going to a holiday event or a holiday concert.

At home, you got to decorate the tree with all the fun colors and ornaments that you create. In the evening you would watch holiday movies and spend time with family.

I wish I could go back to that time and spend time with family relaxing and getting excited for the holidays.

Instead, we are all preparing to take finals.

We may not be able to get that same spirit and child-like excitement back, but we can try to create our own old-school holiday party.

We can try to bring back the spirit by spending time with our best friends. Do the holiday things with friends. Decorate your room, go see the lights, drink hot chocolate while watching a holiday movie and do a fun craft.

Have fun with the holiday season.

Geske can be reached at [email protected].