Nostalgialistic

A can of Coca-Cola is a sign of good times
Nostalgialistic
Photo by Marisa Valdez

It’s a cold snowy Christmas Eve night, the tree is lit with warm colorful lights and Frank Sinatra’s “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” is playing in the background. 

As you sit at the dinner table awaiting your ever-so-filling dinner, a cold can of Coke stares you down. As you crack open the can, slowly, your dinner arrives and the magic begins. 

Coke is a timeless drink. Having been around for over 125 years, it has remained a staple in many homes, including my own. Since I can remember, my grandmother has always had a Coke in her hands. 

Naturally, my mother has latched onto this habit as well. Growing up, many fond memories took place in either my grandmother’s home or my own, meaning the drink of choice has always been Coke. 

The history surrounding the classic drink is both deep and rich. Coke was originally sold out of a soda fountain in downtown Atlanta, Georgia, the birthplace of Coca-Cola. 

Over time, both the shape of the bottle and the way we consume Coke have changed to what we know it as today.

The signature red and white logo, which has stayed, for the most part, untouched, is like an old friend; it has never changed through time but has always grown old with me. Seeing the label and the classic cursive font serves as a valuable link to the past. 

The vintage artwork, often displayed around the holidays, displays retro designs, making you feel that sense of tradition. A classic glass bottle evokes a specific kind of nostalgia. 

Coke imported from Mexico, commonly found in glass bottles, is truly a special treat in my household. Whenever it is someone’s birthday, a holiday or just a special event, a glass bottle of Coke is present. 

Due to this, I have always associated the bottle with special occasions. Being an adult now, this “tradition” still holds true. I will only purchase the bottles when I have a special event coming up. 

The nostalgia of drinking a Coke has expanded to more than just special occasions. It has now become a regular part of my week. I will often have a can as a “treat” for when I accomplish a difficult task. 

I also drink one when I am having a tough day to hopefully try and make my day better. Drinking a Coke, for me, has been referred to as the classic Snickers catchphrase, “You’re not you when you are hungry,” saying I am not myself when I don’t have a Coke.

Even though this timeless soda has become more than just a nostalgic drink, it still brightens up my day just as it brightens up the memories it holds. 

With the world constantly changing, the drink serves as a time machine, bringing me back to the simpler days when all I cared about was having a delicious Christmas dinner at my grandmother’s house. 

Steinmetz can be reached at [email protected]. 

View Comments (2)