Despite a 2-2 record, no report of student interest in homecoming football game

More stories from Caleb Doyle, Freelance Writer

November 11, 2019
The+Tator

Photo by Submitted

(Disclaimer: This article is satire and is not meant to be taken seriously. It does not reflect the views of The Spectator or UW-Eau Claire.)

The UW-Eau Claire football team is off to a great start this season with a 2-2 record. A great start in comparison to many past seasons where the team would struggle to keep a positive record. 

This newfound success the football team is seeing was supposed to stir up more excitement for the 2019 Homecoming game against UW-River Falls. However, upon interviewing many students on campus, feelings towards the game and the Homecoming events seem to be as unenthusiastic as usual.

“Wait, we had a Homecoming game last year?” was Alec Brown’s first response when prompted about the previous Homecoming. Alec is a second-year marketing student who claims he does not remember any events surrounding last year’s Homecoming game against UW-Stevens Point. 

“It honestly just blows my mind that there’s even a celebration for a below-average division three football team,” Brown said. 

Brown is not the only student on campus with negative feelings towards Homecoming. 

“Homecoming is basically an excuse to drink a lot, not that I have ever done that,” Tony Marg, a second-year business student, said.

There are many events offered throughout Homecoming week. From campus games to Varsity Night Live, there are plenty of things to do all week to celebrate — besides drinking.

“Yeah I’m going to be honest, I’m not doing any of those,” Marg said. “Homecoming week will pass and afterward, everyone will go back to only caring about the BMB during football games.”    

“2-2 is not a horrible record,” said Suzie Smith, a fourth-year English student. “We’ve won 50 percent of the games we played. But I’ve been in school long enough to know that 50 percent is a failing grade.” 

“I’ve seen three homecomings already, and each year the football team has had a negative record,” Smith said. “Each year, the enthusiasm for Homecoming has been low from my experience. The only thing interesting about Homecoming week this year is that freaQweek also happens to be going on.” 

The low interest in Homecoming and its activities does not seem to be a new trend for the University, but the season has only just started. 

Maybe this Homecoming week is what the football team needs to be pushed to the next level. After all, if the Blugolds win this week, they’ll be 3-2, and that’s not bad for a Division III football team. 

Doyle can be reached at [email protected]