Rebecca Mennecke

More stories from Rebecca Mennecke

March 18, 2019

I like being in the kitchen … am I a bad feminist? Probably.

Photo by Carolyn Mennecke

Photo by Carolyn Mennecke

Photo by Carolyn Mennecke

I’ve been a really bad feminist this week; I baked brownies and banana nut muffins.

I’m serious. I did it. I’m not kidding you.

On Saturday afternoon, I was procrastinating my homework and responsibilities hardcore. I mean it. Hardcore.

I spent my morning cleaning up the kitchen — Clorox wiping the counters, washing dishes, cleaning the bathroom sinks, spraying down the mirrors and so on and so forth.

When I was done with that, I had a nice afternoon with my roommates as they went through their new clothing purchases from a local thrift sale event. During all of this, I baked muffins and my specialty chocolate M&M brownies, pausing only to give my thoughts on a few pretty interesting articles of clothing. (One-shoulder, neon pink, strange patterns, 80s look dresses? Definitely interesting.)

If you’re sensing a theme here, you’re on it. I love being in the kitchen.

Whether it’s cleaning, cooking, hanging out or just working on some homework, the kitchen is the place to be.

When I want to take a break, you can definitely find me scrubbing some dirty dishes, microwaving day-old pasta or whipping up a fresh batch of cupcakes. I love the kitchen.

It’s where life happens. I remember being at home, my mom and I would always have really good conversations while in the kitchen. My sisters and I made hot chocolate on frigid snowy days in the kitchen. One of my friends and I made oatmeal cookies in the kitchen one day. My ex-boyfriend and I baked chocolate chip cookies and watched “Mulan.”

The kitchen is the place to be.

Does that make me a bad feminist? Absolutely.

You see, since what feels like forever, women have been advertised as the kitchen-scrubber, food-maker and human vacuum cleaner who should be trapped in the kitchen to do all that grubby work. And this stereotype isn’t a thing of the past.

By loving baking, being in the kitchen, I might be perpetuating this stereotype.

But, then again, maybe not.

You see, I get to do all that dish-scrubbing, food-making, and vacuum-cleaning after I get home from a day full of educating classes, working and interning. I voluntarily choose to do those things — there’s no man around telling me what I can and cannot do. I make these decisions myself.

On my resume, my job descriptions do not read: scrubs kitchens, cleans dishes or picks up after her man.

I choose the roles I’m in. I work hard at those roles. I’m so grateful to have that right.

And if that just so happens to be baking a warm batch of fresh brownies, so be it.

Mennecke can be reached at [email protected].

Rebecca Mennecke, Currents Editor

Rebecca "Becca" Mennecke is a second-year creative writing student with a minor in journalism who is thrilled to spend her third semester on staff as The Spectator's Currents Editor. When not editing for The Spectator, Becca can be found with her nose behind a book, watching an ultra-cheesy Hallmark movie or improving her nature photography skills by being in the great outdoors.