Filed under Editorial, Opinion

Editorial Board

Halloween is the night when you can be whomever you please. Where you found your costumes for witches, ghosts and scantily-clad police officers last year, you may now find a Slender Man costume.

The sale of the Halloween costumes has offended some in a Wisconsin community where two classmates who were trying to please Slender Man, an online fictional character, allegedly stabbed a 12-year-old girl.

Members of The Spectator Editorial Board agree that the sale of Slender Man costumes is not acceptable in the fragile community of Waukesha, Wis.

One member said Slender Man is a popular figure, and while they can understand why it would be a costume, it is not okay in the affected community.

Another member said in the Waukesha community the costume doesn’t just represent the game but also represents violence.

The retail of the Slender Man costume shows the economic system will capitalize on anything, one member said.

“The character is popular and is going to sell for $40 a pop,” one member said. “Sadly, this is nothing new.”

Another member questioned the market for the costume. They said they miss the days of homemade Halloween costumes that often required parent involvement. They wondered about the parents of the children wanting the Slender Man costume.