Intruder bill prompts unnecessary violence

Music and theatre may be two separate departments academically, but on occasion they come together. Pirates of Penzance Time/Date: 7:30 p.m. today through Saturday, and Feb. 27 to March 1. 1:30 p.m. March 2. Place: Gantner Concert Hall, Haas Fine Arts Center.

This doesn’t seem like justice to me: The shooting of 20-year-old Bo Morrison last month in Slinger has ignited a fierce debate in Wisconsin over the intruder bill signed into law by Gov. Scott Walker last December.

The law, known as the Castle Doctrine, a reference to the phrase “a man’s home is his castle,” allows citizens to use deadly force against intruders in their home, business
or automobile.

At the time, I thought the law was extreme and unnecessary and set a dangerous precedent.

Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke said when the bill was signed into law he supported it because he’s “not going to have to sweat whether or not a prosecutor is going to come along and put the onus on me.”

What, you mean you’re not going to have to “sweat” doing your job? You’re the sheriff of the largest county in the state.

If you are unwilling or unable to look into crimes and determine who the guilty party is, then resign immediately and save us from your incompetence.

Now the Morrison shooting has put a tragic face to the Castle Doctrine.

The specifics of the case should make any rational person think twice about the sanity of this law.

Morrison was at a party when Adam Kind, the homeowner in the case, called the police to complain about the noise.

When the police eventually came, Morrison fled the scene and attempted to hide from police on Kind’s enclosed porch. Kind claims he believed Morrison was trying to break into his home.

Kind opened the door to the porch, saw Morrison take a step towards him, and fired one shot, killing him.

Does that sound like someone who was a deadly threat to Kind and his family?

Morrison was a kid running scared from the cops and found a good place to hide.

Wisconsin’s previous law said a person could only seek to kill or wound someone if they reasonably believed they were in immediate danger.

Morrison brandished no weapon. He didn’t approach Kind aggressively — Washington County District Attorney Mark Bensen said that Kind shot when Morrison took just a single step towards him.

But with the Castle Doctrine in effect, Kind did not break any law. Sadly, he was within his legal rights to shoot Morrison, who had gone onto his porch without permission.

Cases like this are why the Castle Doctrine needs to be repealed. Now.

I live near Water Street, and on more than one occasion this school year, strangers have barged into my house, drunk and belligerent.

Now, I could shoot these people and prosecutors would have to assume the force was justified. But clearly, that’s insane.

Gov. Walker has gotten a lot of heat for his anti-union policies and the increasing cost of education in the state, and deservedly so. But the new gun laws, including the Castle Doctrine and concealed carry, also will play a huge role in the future of our state.

Do we want to live in a “shoot first, ask questions later” culture? I, for one, certainly do not.

Proponents of the Castle Doctrine say it provides necessary protection for people in their homes.

Protection from drunk, scared kids like Bo Morrison? It seems to me like they may need more protection from overzealous homeowners.