Stay healthy!

Last week’s “Parks and Recreation” was a gem.  It’s my absolute favorite show and I’m crazy about it.  I could literally watch it all day.

Anyway, this last episode involved (nearly) the entire town of Pawnee being stricken with the flu.  It aired at a perfect time (despite not knowing when it was going to be aired due to NBC’s poor scheduling (that’s a different column) because it seems like more and more people are falling ill every day.

It’s here, everyone: the cold, both temperature-wise and runnynosekleenexaddiction-wise.  And both recently hit me hard.

Normally, I’m pretty much a stalwart when it comes to sickness, but when those walls tumble, they crumble with maximum efficiency.

Now, I honestly don’t wish to pass this sickness on to any of you, so there are some easy things to do to ensure that as few other people as possible get the bug.

First and foremost, it’s absolutely essential that you wash your hands all the time.  We’ve all heard this every day since we were negative years old, but it’s worth saying that many times. If you ever blow your nose, wash your hands; if you ever touch any doorknob, wash your hands; if you get your step-dad’s Babe Ruth-signed baseball back from the dog-next-door’s slobbery jowls, wash your hands.

Hand sanitizer, as of late, has kind of been brushed off as inferior to its reputation.  It’s said that if you use too much hand sanitizer, your hands stop producing essential oils, and it’s actually unhealthy.

But hand sanitizer wasn’t created as a replacement for washing your hands; it’s a supplement.  Hand sanitizer was created as a quick way to kill germs that can spread to other people, the germs that the cold-stricken carry nonstop.

So don’t be afraid to use it!

Next, try to contain your germs.

Keep it in one place by not leaving tissues strewn all over a room for other people to pick up.  Stuff them in your pocket.  It’s kind of gross, but you’re doing everyone a solid.

These steps can help you be cool to other people, but I understand that it sucks being sick yourself.  Trust me, this sucks, but these are a few things to do to make you feel better all around.

And really, eating healthier is a good plan also.  With extra vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables, your body can fight germs much easier than without.

Showering doesn’t hurt either.  You may not feel up to it, but after a shower, millions of germs are gone from you.  Plus, it helps get you motivated if you’re clean.

So honestly, as much as I would love a sick day of lying around in my own filth and watching “Parks and Rec” for hours and hours, I’d take not being sick over that every time. You don’t have to be miserable, and you don’t have to make other people around you miserable.  Get well soon.