Student voices needed

After reading the article about the Student Senate’s latest vote in the new union design, I must say that as a student, I was quite pleased with the outcome. As I’m sure you know, there’s a plan in the works for a new student union here on campus. Before the Student Senate voiced an opinion, there seemed to be very little input from the students ourselves, which seemed rather odd.

Who is going to use this facility more than anyone else on campus? Who is going to embrace the building, find a new favorite lounging niche or habitual lunch-time spot? That’s right – the students. Well, actually the incoming freshmen and fifth-year seniors by the time it’s actually finished.

I believe as students on this campus we are consumers of a product, which is our college education. To be satisfied customers, we are entitled to quality services. Just like any other product you purchase, being satisfied is the reason you buy more. If you weren’t fully satisfied, wouldn’t you say something? Students voicing their opinions is just what this campus – and any university – needs to flourish, with a connected and thriving student body.

For anything to change, progress, become better than it is or become something completely different, it takes someone to stand up and say something. We’re all familiar with the saying, “It only takes one person to change the world,” so why do some campus events result in silent dissatisfaction among the students?

The issues that the Student Senate helped resolve with the new union plans weren’t based solely on the opinions of those active members, but fueled by “the general sentiment of students,” as Senator Phil Rynish said in the article.

I wonder how many of you wish something was different here on campus. Sometimes I feel that even if I made a stand for something or wanted change, my voice alone wouldn’t be enough. It’s hard to feel sufficiently powerful to demand change or voice an opinion that you feel will matter. But why?

In college more than any other time in our lives we are taught to debate, reason and publicly speak. We’re equipped with all the tools we need to stand up and speak our minds, and yet so many of us don’t and continue to remain dissatisfied or wish for something different. It’s definitely intimidating at times when we realize policies on campus or ways in which our tuition is going to be spent are almost always decided upon by administrators and people who aren’t just “the common student.”

What we have to realize is that change is attainable. Here at UW-Eau Claire, the class sizes are small enough and the student community is connected to a degree for you to be heard as an individual and not blend in as just a number on a class roster. I believe as students we don’t understand our potential to make changes. What’s holding us back? Laziness, uncertainty, lack of confidence?

We are the ones holding ourselves back from improving campus life or changing an aspect of our surroundings. Basically since kindergarten, we have been pushed to succeed, and we’re all here at this college because we are driven to make something out of our lives. We thrive on encouragement, whether we realize it or not, and it is the driving force in many, if not all, of our achievements. Speaking your mind requires motivation for success, which varies from person to person. Each person is capable of making a change, taking a stand and voicing his or her own opinion.

The key to speaking out is your personal comfort level. To be successful in voicing your opinion as a student you need to feel certain that what you’re doing could make a difference – no matter how small – whether it be recruiting a group of other students to bring about major change or simply putting a smile on someone’s face.

Try joining a club on campus to allow your opinions to be heard, or let people know how you feel in this very medium and write an article for the school paper. Talk to a professor you feel comfortable with and let people know your opinions without having doubt stand in your way.

So now who’s going to listen to our voices? Even if we make the stand, are we sure it will make a difference? Obviously there are no guarantees, but there’s power in simply being heard.

Todd, a sophomore print journalism major, is a guest columnist for The Spectator.