Treatment of animals deserves legislation

It is important to stand up for those that cannot stand up for themselves. That’s why we support proposed legislation that would curb puppy mills, especially considering their prevalence in the area. And apparently we aren’t the only ones.

More than 100 people turned out at a hearing last week in Madison to back the legislation authored by State Rep. Jeff Smith, D-Eau Claire.

Under the bill, breeders would only be able to sell 25 puppies per year, unless they come from three litters or less. Also, an increase of $125 to $1,000 in breeding licenses – depending on the number of dogs – would generate an estimated $514,000 for the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.

Attempts to pass similar legislation have failed over the past decade.

According to Smith, he decided to author the legislation after visiting dog auctions in the Thorp area, which is part of the “mecca of puppy mills” that he says exists along Highway 29 east of Chippewa Falls.

It is important that the state has finally realized not only how important the humane treatment of animals is, but also the amount of money that could be raised in a time of major budget issues.

The legislation is definitely a step in the right direct. No one likes to see animals suffer in unsanitary and unsuitable living conditions. However, what is more important is that laws under the bill would be enforced. It is unclear how law enforcement could keep tabs on dog breeders, especially in woodsy, small towns such as Thorp, but if it can be done it is certainly a worthwhile cause.

Another important aspect of the legislation would be maintaining and amending the bill as needed. We feel that 25 dogs might even be too many. So it will be important that lawmakers return to the issue further down the road to see whether or not the bill is truly creating better living environments for animals.

There is concern that the bill would unfairly affect hobby breeders, costing too much money when the breeders are not making much money off a small number of animals. That is another issue may need to be addressed in the future.

Overall the legislation is a humane gesture and great way to reduce animal cruelty, we just hope that the movement doesn’t stop here.