Memorial should not be removed

The separation of church and state is a battle that has raged for years. And in many ways, it’s still a distinction that has yet to be set in stone.

The pledge of allegiance still mentions God and our money still states that we trust in Him, Her or It.

That’s why we agree with the Chippewa Falls Buildings and Grounds Committee’s choice to reverse a decision from a month ago that would have removed a memorial honoring a deceased police officer from government property.

The memorial – which was paid for by a private group – was placed at the Chippewa County Courthouse to remember Jason Zunker, 31, who was killed after being struck by a vehicle while tending to a semi on fire on Highway 53 in January.

Along with an engraving of Zunker’s likeness, the center stone tablet of the three-tablet memorial has the religious phrase, “In valor there is hope.”

The memorial’s placement has been under fire throughout the summer, and is now being challenged by the Madison-based group Freedom From Religion.

Considering the gray areas that still exist in the separation of church and state in the national scope, the negative impact – if there is any – of the Zunker memorial is trivial.

Not only are those five words of little consequence, we feel it is extremely disrespectful to a man who gave his life in the line of duty and also to his family to have irrelevant controversy reopen those not-so-old wounds.

People need to put selfish concerns aside and remember that the memorial is simply a reminder of a man who died tragically young – not religious propaganda.

If the separation of church and state is really the issue, changes should be made at the top – not in the tiny community of Chippewa Falls.

And if the community really feels the memorial violates their rights, it should be the community that petitions it – not a national group of outsiders.

We also feel that religion – whether one agrees with it or not – can be a defining element of someone’s life.

If you take away what makes a person, what is left to memorialize?