We are one university, one Senate

David Taintor

Last week, you were asked to vote for the next student leadership at UW-Eau Claire. You were also asked to put up with fliers, posters, people on the mall and countless bits of information, but through it all, the election was a success.

An impressive turnout yielded Amber Bretl and me as your new student body-vice president and president. The election also gave multiple senator seats to new students. With 206 more votes than the opposition, we will work for you and keep our campaign promises. Amber and I plan to make visible change to student life at UWEC and will lead Student Senate through the upcoming battles we face.

Our top priority this summer is the budget crisis. We will be working here and in Madison to ensure changes are made to preserve our university and the diploma we came here to get. We also plan on getting the groundwork set for our course review program. By the next registration cycle we plan to have a secure online program to review courses and their professors to make your time here more efficient.

This summer will also include solidifying the layout for the new Davies Center. Our new student center needs a balance between more space and amenities as well as proper investments into green building technologies. We will make sure each decision follows students’ needs without curbing environmentalism. By next fall, students will be excited to see a design for the new Davies Center that incorporates sustainability, technology and facilities every student can appreciate.

When fall classes begin we will inform students of issues facing Senate, from Davies to countless other ideas. You will begin to receive short surveys to measure how you feel on those issues and proposals. This will allow us to better incorporate the student body’s opinion when Student Senate makes decisions. Yes, surveys can be annoying but we will never add something to your e-mail unless we need your input. Our administration will reach to your voice through the easiest means possible; your participation will only take a few clicks.

Input can only go so far, we guarantee that each survey we conduct is used to achieve our goals. Fine arts students will be surveyed to prioritize rooms and amenities to support our case for increasing Haas building hours. We will also use the surveys to show administration exactly what the student body needs. There is no denying accurate statistical data when arguing any decision or proposal.

The input we need cannot always be solved by surveys. If you ever have a question about anything facing the university please stop me between classes, Facebook me or e-mail me. If you think we aren’t fulfilling our campaign promises tell us via e-mail, or write in to the Flipside or The Spectator.

Amber and I look at the 607 votes you cast for us as a vote of progress, change and accurate representation. But the other 794 votes gained by the other two tickets were votes for inclusiveness and creativity.

No matter how you voted, or if didn’t vote, this upcoming year is going to be very productive for Student Senate. We will work to complete our campaign promises, but also for the promises of our opponents. The students of UWEC need to see visible changes, creative projects and new ideas. Inclusiveness of ideas and opinions will only bring us a more productive year.

However much you are involved on campus you will see progress throughout the university. There are many ideas of what to do here, but the best way to accomplish anything is to get more help. You don’t have to join Senate or one of our commissions but please take an extra three minutes to fill out a survey. If you and your friends see something that could be made better, contact us. When your student organization is struggling to host an event, call us.

No matter what issue we face your input will be sought, our changes made visible and our spending shown as clear as the water that named our town. This is a time of great hope and progress; with your support we can alter this university to better serve each one of us, the students of UWEC.

Umhoefer is a senior public relations major and guest columnist for The Spectator.