Spectator editorial: Lack of judgment

Whether or not a driver is under the influence of alcohol, a hit-and-run is a hit-and-run, hands down.

According to an April 16 Associated Press article, the chancellor of UW-Stevens Point, Linda Bunnell, said alcohol was not a factor in a crash she was a part of on Feb. 17.

The article stated Bunnell had bought three drinks before the accident, adding she only drank one. Afterwards, when she was driving her state-owned Toyota Camry, she hit an unoccupied, parked vehicle and left the scene without leaving a note.

Bunnell said she was not impaired, and the reason she didn’t stop was because she thought the damage was minor and was in a hurry to get to Gov. Jim Doyle’s budget speech.

For most people, it’s hard to believe she bought three drinks and only drank one. It would have been more believable that she drank two out of the three.

Although she says alcohol was not a factor in the crash, the problem is that it was still a hit-and-run, and she should have been more responsible.

She is a public figure, driving a state-owned car, and if she wouldn’t have been caught, she probably wouldn’t be saying what a “real lesson” she has learned, according to the article.

The article stated Bunnell had turned in all the paperwork she was required and paid a $172 fine after being cited for failing to leave her name at the accident scene.

She might have presented all this, and she might have handled the situation as best as she could, but assumptions will be made that she was drunk.

Even if she wasn’t drunk – because the police can’t get hard evidence of this – obeying the law should be more of a priority than getting somewhere on time.

According to the article, the student senate at Steven’s Point voted 15-0 on a resolution expressing “no confidence” in her leadership.

This reflects poorly on the administration, and it shows her irresponsibility.