Bottoms up

Under a unanimous vote, former city administrator, Ron Singel, was fired Jan. 13 after the Chippewa Falls mayor couldn’t legally order him to submit to a breathalyzer or blood alcohol test, according to a Feb. 3 Chippewa Falls News Bureau article.

Singel had received a letter on Aug. 5 saying people could sense the “strong odor of alcohol when interacting with (Singel).”

The city had Singel sign the letter, but he later said the allegations had no proof.

Singel’s contract states that “employees who are intoxicated or taking intoxicants (alcohol or narcotics) during work hours or on city premises shall be subject to immediate disciplinary action, including dismissal.”

These contracts need to be revised, and a clause needs to be added that gives the right to “spot check” an employee. After all, they are public officials, and taxpayers are paying them to serve the public and be at their full potential.

If people already suspected Singel of drinking on the job, why didn’t they do something then? How could they have taken proper action with only speculations?

They waited and let him work for five more months before they fired him.

In fact, according to the article, the topic of alcohol didn’t even come up at the closed session when Singel was fired. The council focused on Single’s lack of preparation, initiative, and performance.

In an interview, Singel said those allegations were “very, very wrong.”

If this is true, Singel should be fighting to clear his name or filing for wrongful termination.

But, since the city wasn’t able to obtain proof of Singel’s alcohol use, the city’s reason to fire him was that he wasn’t able to perform his duties. Singel is not retaliating towards the city.

There are probably many things the public doesn’t know about what actions, if any, were taken to deal with Singel, but disciplinary action should have come sooner.