At last, impeachment is finalized

David Taintor

While flipping channels last Thursday night, I landed on whatever channel it is that CNN is on. The news network followed coverage of now former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich’s impeachment by the Illinois State Senate.

Finally.

Impeachment is the best thing that could have happened. More importantly, this also means that the affair will come to a close. However, the ramifications and destruction have only begun.

But, first thing’s first.

In addition to television coverage, a Jan. 29 article from CNN said that the Illinois State Senate chose to impeach Blagojevich by a unanimous vote – 59 to 0. Following that, another unanimous vote removed the possibility for him to hold office in the state ever again.

Wow. Obviously, there was enough evidence to prove that Blagojevich did not play by the rules of honest state governors.

Before the vote came out, I had thought that perhaps a few of his fellow Democrats would stand by his side, perhaps some Republicans. They could not all believe in his guilt.

Clearly, I was wrong.

It is saying something when members of his party do not stand by his side. It is saying something when an entire state senate does not stand by him. The lack of support from his fellow politicians condemns him and all his actions.

In addition to the lack of support among politicians, the article states that after the impeachment, Blagojevich met with the media outside of his home and a few people shouted that they could “forgive and forget” him.

Another strike. Even the people who support him think he did it. I do not think I have to translate what an extreme lack of support means in a case like this.

On another note, state senators in the article say that Blagojevich had the opportunity to present evidence on his behalf and bring witnesses. The former governor refutes this, stating in the article that Senate trial rules would not allow him to have witnesses.

This does not make sense and seems to be another lie told by Blagojevich.

In a legal matter as serious as this, I believe that he should and must have had the opportunity.

Fortunately for him, he did appear before the group during closing arguments and continued to plead his innocence, according to the article. I feel as though I have to give him props for defending himself in the face of so much opposition. However, I could never condone his lies.

It is in all of these things that make me believe in his guilt. Not that I didn’t before. However, a person should only be convicted by a court of law. Last time I checked, I was not one of those.

Now that the impeachment is over, I can say it. I believe Blagojevich is guilty. And it seems as though the only person who does not agree is the former governor himself.

This entire scandal has tested the faith of a nation in its elected officials. It has destroyed trust and makes me wonder if other officials are as corrupt as Blagojevich and would sell Senate seats, making democracy appear to be a joke that Americans trust in.

Impeachment is the first bandage on the road to healing this dilemma. We will come back from this and several examples in history prove it. However, for former governor Blagojevich, it is a blow.

His world is left in shambles. He will never have respect for good things he once did. I refuse to believe that he was always as corrupt as this event has shown him to be.

It is over. We know what may have happened.

Now, the only thing that bothers me about the whole affair is the “Why.”

Why did Blagojevich engage in these activities? Why did he give into corruption?

If we’re lucky, he’ll write a memoir. It wouldn’t be the first time it has happened.

Schossow is a sophomore print journalism major and news editor for The Spectator.