Young voters represent change

Renee Rosenow

Obama or McCain? Do you know whom you want to see as the next president of the United States of America? Do you care?

This year’s presidential elections will have a significant effect on the future of the U.S. and the world. Some crucial issues are being debated such as the financial crisis that is affecting the entire world. Yet some young Americans voters seem to ignore those problems and the elections.

The second presidential debate was shown on Oct.7. I was watching it in Murray Hall’s basement on the communal TV set. Some students came and because they wanted to watch TV (apparently not the presidential debate) they were saying, “Why is everybody watching that thing?” with an exasperated expression. Those people will be voting — well, they are eligible at least.

I am not eligible to vote here in the United States – I am an international student from France – however I am interested in the elections. Some young voters don’t seem to be knowledgeable about the candidates and their programs, and they won’t do anything to inform themselves about the election. They think it is not important.

I understand why some people might think politics is not interesting because I thought the same before; but last year, I voted for the first time and it was for the presidential elections in France. Suddenly, I got more interested in the complicated world that politics is. I had the chance to participate in the future of my country by choosing the new leader. My friends and I were debating in school for one candidate or another.

Here, I hear few people actually talking about the elections. I think we, the international students, talk more about them than some American students do. This election is so big that even people in France are asking me “Who do you think is going to be elected?”

Did you even know who were the two candidates for the French presidential elections in 2007? Probably not. However, people all around the world are wondering, getting interested and getting informed about the U.S. presidential elections because it will certainly have an impact on their country.

The financial crisis is touching every European country. In France, some small businesses are forced to close because of the crisis that started in the United States. It happened recently to a business near my hometown.

Nowadays, the U.S. is the most powerful country in the world so the next president must be competent and solve the big issues of the time.

Young voters represent a large number of the voters. According to the ‘Rock the Vote’ Web site there are 44 million eligible 18 to 29-years old who can vote, which is “the largest generation in history.”

They (young voters) have the power to participate in the change of their country. The next president will make decisions that will affect their future. That is why young voters must vote and know who they are voting for. However, it seems that some of them won’t take the time to learn about Obama or McCain’s programs.

I wish I could vote here. Unfortunately I can’t, so people who can have to take these elections seriously and vote for the candidate who will represent the U.S. the best and will make smart decisions.

My advice is get informed as much as you can on the candidates and their running mates, watch the debates, make up your own opinions and vote without complaining. And please don’t vote for Obama because you think he is “hot.” Yes, I have heard that!

Some good ways to get informed are to look at the candidates’ Web sites: Obama, www.barackobama.com; McCain, www.johnmccain.com.

Gerstenhaber is a freshman print journalism major and guest columnist for The Spectator.