Spectator editorial: Sweet reward

Trick-or-treating just got a whole lot sweeter for the children of Appleton.

According to a Thursday Associated Press article, 13-year-old Kevin Hash convinced the Appleton city council to extend trick-or-treating hours. Originally scheduled to run from 4 to 7 p.m., the city council decided to add an hour and make trick-or-treating run until 8 p.m. Hash argued that by the time parents leave work, pick up kids and have dinner it’s already 7 p.m.

Hash should be commended for exercising an often forgotten right. Often cities are criticized for their decisions, but rarely do those doing the criticizing act upon their frustration by trying to change things. Hash was passionate about the topic and wanted to see a change and was rewarded for his persistence. He serves as an inspiration to his peers, who may be thinking they have no say in politics.

The inspiration for Hash’s persistence was likely the desire to obtain more candy. His argument that parents cannot get their children’s trick-or-treating done in three hours may not be the best one, as parents likely have the foresight to accommodate their children’s plans. Although he could just buy himself a bag of candy on his own, being a teenager he doesn’t have that many Halloweens left. However, the decision the city council made was the right one in that it really has little down side.

Some may feel the extra hour will allow children to commit more acts of disobedience, but for those who want to cause destruction, curfews likely have no effect. Despite this, law enforcement should be on the lookout for trouble makers with the hour extension, just in case. The extra hour may cause trick-or-treaters to become more irritating to those giving out candy, so that is something for them to watch for. But nothing out of the ordinary will likely occur in the city if the people of Appleton are aware of the extra hour and stay alert, as they should every Halloween.