Hang-woman

Sometimes Democrats and Republicans get so frustrated with each other that they may feel like hanging one another. But one homeowner may have taken this feeling a little too far.

According to an Oct. 27 Reuters article, Chad Michael Morisette made what he called Halloween “art” by dressing a mannequin up as vice presidential-nominee Gov. Sarah Palin (R-Alaska) and hanging it by the neck from the eaves of his home, located in famously liberal West Hollywood. Local officials received complaints about the display but could not cite Morisette because it was not in violation of the municipal codes.

Although the display is considerably questionable in nature and extremely offensive, it is covered under free speech. To restrict expression, even expression done in poor taste, would obviously set a dangerous precedent that would raise the question of who decides when something crosses the line. The local officials made the right decision on not trying to press the issue, as difficult as it may be to do so.

It is sad, however, that it has become socially acceptable in America to do things of this nature. Although Halloween is approaching, this is not an excuse to put material on display that degrades an actual human life and a living person. People should be aware simply because a holiday is somewhat associated with violence, that does not mean they should lose all sense of respect for others.

The display additionally could be viewed as threatening not only to Palin but to the general population around Morisette. This type of display could definitely be an indicator that he has some emotional and behavioral issues that could endanger those around him. Ignoring this because America has evolved to believe this type of display is an acceptable form of political satire is unfortunate and scary. Had the display had a point or purpose it may have been more justifiable, but the violent nature of the display is a relevant thing to look at when considering the individual.