Author’s advice to women wrong

Renee Rosenow

“Here’s a little secret ladies – what you won’t do, ten broads around the block will.”

This quote is just one of many debatable quotes from first-time author Dante Moore’s recently released book, titled “The Re-Education of the Female.”

Moore, who is 33 and surprisingly has a girlfriend, said in an excerpt from the book that “The Re-education of the Female” is sure to bring women to the man they’ve always wanted, and not to one they’ve just “settled for.” Moore said in a radio interview with Ryan Seacrest that he wrote the book “to uplift and educate them (women) . To teach them how to get and keep a man.”

All females have to do is lose 20 pounds and prance around in lingerie when their man comes home. Never mind that they may have had a horrible day at school or work and are completely stressed out – this is what we as women must do in order to get a “man of quality,” Moore said.

I first heard of this laughable piece of literature when listening to this interview on Seacrest’s radio show a few weeks ago. I could not believe what I was hearing – did this man, this “Re-Educator,” really think this was what women should be doing to get and keep a man? Apparently so.

Quotes from his interview included “A lot of women are only 20 pounds of weight away from being somebody’s wife” and my personal favorite, “If you’re having a bad day, and you say you’re not good enough to put this (lingerie) on for him, he should go around the block. If you’re having a bad day and you don’t want to put on something sexy, why are you in a relationship?”

I don’t know about Dante’s girlfriend, but I unfortunately don’t wait around for my man to get home from work and find me poised with my feather duster in a cutesie little French maid’s outfit.

My personal agenda in my relationship doesn’t include constantly being at his beck and call, but as Moore said in his book “Men don’t ask for much, they command for everything.”

So if I’m tired or stressed with life, I can forget about lounging around in my sweatpants for the night. I should set that all aside, because I have to focus on wearing something sexy and trying to do whatever my man wants me to. Is this fair? No, it isn’t.

I once heard a great quote, though I’m not sure who said it. “If you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.”

Now I know people should never judge a book by its cover (which happens to be in poor taste as well; it depicts the Re-Educator himself at a blackboard with two female students sitting at a desk), so I decided to visit Moore’s Web site and read a few excerpts from the book. As I expected, my preconceived notions that this book should be placed in the humor or fiction section of the bookstore were correct.

The first chapter of the book was titled “How to Get a Man,” and the first subhead in the chapter was titled “Appearance, appearance, appearance.” Moore said the most important thing to do when trying to get a man for oneself is focus on the way you look. According to Moore, overweight women should pretty much forget being in a relationship until they lose about 20 pounds.

“How many fat, successful females do you see with boyfriends or husbands?” said Moore. “Hardly any, correct?”

How thoughtful of Moore to start off on the right foot and drawing in the female reader by playing on her insecurities. In a society dominated by images and ideals shaping the way we as women think, we should look like or act, we certainly don’t need another man telling women to lose weight more than they already tell themselves every day.

Moore gets even more creative in Chapter 7, titled, “Are you an indirect prostitute?”

Moore attempted to be clever as he talked about how a man takes a woman on a series of dates, paying her way each time.

“The process goes on in different variations and locations until they ultimately have sex. The woman usually hasn’t paid a dime throughout this entire process. The only difference between this and a street-walking prostitute is that the street-walker eliminates the dinners and movies and just takes the money,” Moore said in the book.

Tell me, Dante, before I vomit in disgust, how a man like YOU would EVER attract a female. I really hope this isn’t how all men think. I like to think it’s not. That isn’t exactly how it worked in my relationship.

And what if the woman is (heaven forbid) a virgin? Moore has some choice words for her too.

“A virgin is the biggest indirect prostitute of all because she requires the largest investment in order to have sex.”

So there you have it ladies – we’re all a bunch of indirect prostitutes, unless, of course, we decide to always pick up the tab. Now I have no problem with doing this in our modern day society, but can we stop and think about what’s really going on here?

From the way I see it, men like Moore aren’t dating to spend quality time with a woman and develop a relationship, they’re just waiting for the sex. And the virgins are just prey, waiting to be pounced on. Did I mention that Moore said, “all men are hunters?”

I’ll leave you with Moore’s specifics to remember before you even think about putting yourself out there for a relationship.

“If you have weight issues, excessive body hair, poor hygiene, body odor, bad feet, teeth or nails; then you need to handle that before you put yourself in a relationship.”

Oops. Sorry Dante, I really need your help. I think I did things a little out of order. Never mind that I married the man of my dreams more than a year ago and was fixing my crooked teeth with braces almost the entire time we’ve been together.

And maybe he has yet to notice my short, uneven fingernails and hangnails from throwing boxes around all day at work. I better go around and see what those ten broads are up to . I hope there aren’t eleven people standing on my street corner.

Wabrowetz is a sophomore print journalism major and chief copy editor of The Spectator.