Slummy animal activism

Lyssa Beyer

Recently, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals issued a ceasefire on Beyoncé by sending her and new hubby Jay-Z a wedding present. Their act of kindness was motivated by Beyoncé’s apparently fur-less attire this past winter.

But PETA and the R&B star haven’t always been best buds. The over-the-top animal rights organization has a long standing history of attacking not only Beyoncé, but a plethora of other celebrities who have been spotted wearing fur.

“Don’t think it’s OK that 50 rabbits die for one fur coat? Tell Hairy Kate and Trashley to cut it out now.”

This statement was issued on Peta2.com, referencing twin millionaires Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, who include fur items in their clothing line. This particular media outlet for angry activists allows visitors to dress up the “Trollsen Twins” by dragging bloody pieces of fur onto their dangerously thin, digital bodies. It sounds relatively unpleasant and it is. What a waste of HTML.

While their nicknames are rather comical, seeing this Web site made me feel like I was back in 11th grade. PETA may as well have written some ugly moniker on the bathroom stalls of the Beverly Hills shopping center.

Being insulting and immature is a horrible way to get a massive audience to believe the issue is anything less than a radical rant. Cutting remarks, such as calling an actress a “ho” for wearing a fur coat, is not only tacky but also inefficient. Web sites devoted to berating a celebrity are simply giving them bad press, something they may not even care about and are seasoned to deal with.

Taking a stance in left field is going to make it increasingly difficult to get a massive following. This is logic that applies to almost any situation and it’s simply a societal fact.

It’s frustrating to see things played out in this manner. When people mock PETA for being a bunch of crazies, I can’t defend them because I don’t agree with their style of execution. It is difficult because I support a lot of what PETA stands for. However, I sincerely think there are much better ways to approach their beliefs.

Knocking people over the head with an opinion does more harm than good. When I see someone standing on a campus bench yelling about sinners, I have even less motivation to understand their opinion. When I see arms sticking out in front of my walking path, I know there’s a gruesome pamphlet coming my way. If there’s a giant anti-abortion sign in my face as I leave class, I don’t go back to my apartment and re-consider all my morals. The same goes for animal rights.

Let me be clear, I think fur and other luxurious animal products are relatively pointless and excessive. However, I firmly believe that telling someone this is not going to prevent them from buying an enormous fur hat.

I realize PETA and other animal rights organizations do a lot to educate the public about the specific tortures of animals. I fully support that effort. I think a lot can be done to prevent unnecessary and wasteful cruelty inflicted upon animals.

In addition, endangered species and the illegal killing of exotic animals are important and valid issues for everyone to care about. Education backed by a clear and forceful argument is the best way to gain listeners.

Attacking fur-laden celebrities is merely a waste of time. It is attention without action and drama without a direction. What is accomplished by letting the world know Eva Longoria is PETA’s enemy because she’s been spotted wearing a minx coat? Have an opinion, be passionate and take a stand on an issue. But trying to sway the richest sector of the world’s population to stop indulging is sadly a lost cause.

As a vegetarian and an animal rights supporter, I have less than zero intentions of wearing fur in my lifetime. However, never have I made the attempt to stop the entire population of carnivores from enjoying a lovely piece of steak by insulting them and calling them out in public. It’s not my business.

Sure, it would be great if we could stop the torture of animals. I wouldn’t disagree to a world of vegetarianism and products sans fur or leather. And I wouldn’t be against a world of sunshine and constant hand-holding, either. But I’m also a bit of a realist. And a big fan of our freedoms and the choice to eat or wear whatever we want.

Heidbrink is a junior print journalism major and Showcase editor of The Spectator.