Spectator Editorial: Primary mulligan

In politics, do-overs are rare. But in the crazy race to nominate a Democratic candidate for president, it’s looking as if two states are going to get another shot at holding their primaries.

In a March 6 article from the Associated Press, Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said party officials in Michigan and Florida should organize plans to repeat their nominating contests so their delegates will be counted. The two states, which had their results nullified after they broke party rules by holding their elections before their allotted times, now could hold their contests again because of how close the Democratic race remains.

The DNC is making the right decision here by wanting to re-hold these elections – the people in those states need to have their votes counted in this tight election. Neither Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) nor Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) can win the nomination without the delegates from Michigan or Florida, so it wouldn’t be fair to them to not hold these elections again. It would be better to have voters determine the Democratic candidate than to have it go to the convention, where party bigwigs would end up making the decision.

The question is, when are these elections going to be held? Doing it now would lessen the importance of the upcoming Pennsylvania primary. Going at the end wouldn’t be much better because it would take attention away from the less delegate-rich elections that normally go last. While neither option is ideal, with the Republican race already decided, the Democrats can’t afford to waste any more time in determining their nominee.

Dean and the DNC need to act quickly and do what they can to get this race over with before convention time. This may lead to lessening the impact of other races, but that would be a better option than letting the nomination be undecided going into the convention.