Spectator Editorial: Gange on the go

On Jan. 28, CBS News reported that a vending machine that dispenses medical marijuana will be available at the Herbal Nutrition Center of Los Angeles. It won’t be the same as the snack machines dotting UW-Eau Claire, though – this prescription vending machine requires extensive hoops for potential buyers to jump through. But the proprietors of this PVM should be cautious with providing drugs in such a fashion.

The security measures for the medical marijuana PVM are extensive, according to the report. Patients have to get an access card to enter, go through security, be fingerprinted, submit their prescription, pay and then finally pick up their drugs; a camera will take a picture of patients to make sure they are actually at the machine. The main purpose of the PVM is to allow patients access to prescriptions after hours at the pharmacy.

While the idea of allowing patients more access to the medical marijuana they need to ease their pain is admirable, the fact that the drug is still illegal to sell under federal law brings a host of potential problems. First off, where does the Herbal Nutrition Center get its marijuana? Does it get it off the streets as doctors are forced to tell their patients to do because of the federal ban on the drug? The idea of a street peddler making money from this machine is unappealing despite the benefits.

Also missing from the PVM is the face-to-face interaction patients should have with their doctors. This backdoor means of distributing the drug robs patients the ability to express concerns with their treatment to a doctor. Is this vending machine idea more convenient than having at least one doctor on hand at a 24-hour pharmacy?

The Herbal Nutrition Center should look closely to see if there is an absolute need for a machine of this type, as the problems it raises could put patients at more of a risk than necessary.