Parade sponsorship bad for kids

Janie Boschma

I was disappointed to recently learn that Starbucks is actively promoting the homosexual lifestyle in a way that could be harmful to children.

I have always liked Starbucks, even though it has had its detractors, because it provides a good product and an enjoyable atmosphere in which to enjoy it. However, an article that I found on the Free Republic Web site from the Baptist Press about an issue involving the coffee shop, has caused me to rethink my patronage of Starbucks coffee shops.

In the article, Meghan Kleppinger, an employee of Concerned Women for America, discussed how she had learned of a gay pride parade in San Diego that included San Diego area Starbucks as a sponsor. Kleppinger said she thought the parade sounded like a typical event until she read further.

In the article Kleppinger said, “I read where there would be children’s gardens and basically in the midst of all of this sexual activity there would be events for children. And then I read that two registered pedophiles were volunteers at this event. When I scrolled to the bottom I saw who the sponsors were, and the one that jumped out was Starbucks because it is a favorite company of mine. So it just frustrated me that a company was giving money to something like this where children would be exposed to this sort of thing.”

Kleppinger later wrote a column about this issue for World Net Daily, a news Web site, where she expressed her outrage over the issue. The Baptist Press article recounts the following about Kleppinger’s column: “If Starbucks knowingly was sponsoring a parade that put children in danger, that would be ‘blatant irresponsibility,’ Kleppinger wrote in her column. And if they were doing it unknowingly, they should have investigated before handing over the money, she said.”

I had the very same reaction when I read this part of the story. Why would Starbucks participate in a parade with events for children where registered pedophiles were serving as volunteers? The fact that the organizers did not screen these people out ahead of time is bad enough, but that Starbucks served as a sponsor of this event is even worse. I understand that Starbucks has independent stores that serve as franchised locations, but they bear the brand name of the corporation and serve as representatives of the company. After reading this, I knew I had a decision to make. Do I overlook this and ignore what I have learned or do I take action and let Starbucks know? I chose the latter.

I emailed Starbucks and let them know about the article I read and my displeasure with its sponsorship of the gay pride event that included child molesters. I received a response the following day which I found to be less than satisfying. Starbucks attempted to hide itself in the cloak of diversity by saying that “One of our six principles is ’embracing diversity as an essential component to the way we do business.’ This includes the gay and lesbian community.”

The email went on to say, “Starbucks has a long history of giving back to communities where we operate. Supporting local events like the San Diego Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Pride Festival gives us the opportunity to give back to the community of San Diego.”

Well that is all fine and good, but it doesn’t excuse the fact that Starbucks used its earnings to support an event where sex offenders served as volunteers. At the very least this is a big mistake, if not corporate irresponsibility. I was hopeful that Starbucks would admit its oversight and say it had terminated its relationship with the event, but instead Starbucks said, “Starbucks is aware that three sex offenders volunteered for the San Diego Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Pride Festival this year. The three volunteers have resigned as Pride Festival volunteers. The Pride Festival organizers are also taking steps to institute new screening procedures for volunteers and staff who work at next years event.”

It shocked me that Starbucks admitted sex offenders had served as volunteers, yet barely offered an apology. Starbucks attempted to gain cover by telling me many other membership organizations participated in the parade. This is disturbing, but it doesn’t excuse Starbucks own culpability.

In the final analysis, I am saddened to hear of Starbucks’ involvement in this gay pride parade and even more disappointed in its lack of an appropriate response. Starbucks should realize the public is aware of its actions, and in this age of increasing sexual violence against children, we will not tolerate its involvement in events such as this.

Let’s hope Starbucks sticks to the business of selling coffee and stops making excuses for its mistakes. This would be good for Starbucks, and good for the children.

Burton is a junior economics major, chairman of the College Republicans and guest columnist for The Spectator.